You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2018-08-29 17:22:44

mazo

APFS target problem

I have a problem with APFS targets and would appreciate any help!

I successfully created an APFS image from a 10.13.6 installation on a Mac Pro (all firmware updates should be installed on this machine since this was a regular installation through the macOS installer). The image is in my list of Masters.

I now try to restore this image, but the APFS volumes (inside the APFS container on the internal disk) are not shown as targets in the restore task.
I can add a target selector task as the first item in the workflow and then I can select the mounted APFS volume. But then the restore task will crash immediately after starting the restore.

I tried SD 1.7.8 and 1.7.9.

Any ideas? Am I missing something?

Many thanks!
Marco

#2 2018-08-29 17:58:10

mazo

Re: APFS target problem

Strange, I erased the internal SSD using diskutil and created a new APFS container and volume. Now it seems to restore the APFS image on this newly created volume.

#3 2018-08-30 09:01:58

mazo

After one successful image, it is now back to "not working" again. Also erasing a disk and creating a new APFS container no longer works. Has anybody an idea what the problem is? Has Deploystudio problems in detecting APFS volumes?

Another update: Using asr from the command line, I can restore the image from the repository to the disk. So it really seems Deploystudio (1.7.9) has problems in detecting APFS volumes as target?

Last edited by mazo (2018-08-30 11:01:46)

#4 2018-09-23 08:49:46

QuickMik

same problem here.
deploystudio 1.7.9
MBP 2018 (T2 chip, no netboot ?)
create a highsierra thumbdrive (10.13.6) incl. deploystudio 1.7.9
to create the image, is not a problem
but the restore. also suspect, deploystudio doesn't use the right ASR command.
any hints?

#5 2018-11-06 09:27:40

mazo

Small update regarding this point.

Using Deploystudio runtime running on High Sierra thumbdrive, I was able to get a restore to work, but only by manually specifying the workflow target in the form /dev/diskXsY (e.g. /dev/disk1s1) within the "Restore" workflow part. It had to be the "Restore" part, when using the "Target selector" part it crashed.

Using the runtime running from a Mojave (14.1) thumbdrive, I see an improvement. Now, the "target selector" can be used to select a volume (by name, not using the /dev/diskXsY syntax).

However, be aware of two crucial issues (applies to both methods):

1. The entire APFS container containing this volume is erased. If you want another "volume" on the same SSD, use partitioning (not APFS volumes) to create a second, separate APFS container.

2. In addition I always have to fix the Preboot volume in order to get the restored image to boot.
- Mount the corresponding preboot volume
- Rename the folder to the UUID of your restored volume
- run "diskutil apfs updatepreboot diskXsY (diskXsY being your restored volume)

I can now create and restore Mojave images, which saves the workflow in our lab, hopefully for a couple of years to come.
Hope this helps!

#6 2018-11-06 09:35:34

mazo

P.S. Seems to work only if "User selection" is set in the "Target Selector". "Enter Value" does not work. So manual intervention is required, preventing fully automated workflows when using this technique (at the moment and in my hands).

Board footer