You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#26 2018-08-02 22:17:44

carlocarlo

Re: New iMac Pro is the End of Mac Imaging! (Redux)

The problem is not your 10.13.6 image you created with AutoDMG
It is the DS image you boot from (10.13.6 with a newer build version for MacBook Pro with T2), that’s why you don’t find it in AppStore
ASR works fine in restoring APFS images only up to 10.13.3
So you cannot restore an image if you have to use a newer version to boot your computer from
It would probably work using target disk mode, that is using another computer and booting with 10.13.3 and connecting the MacBook Pro T2 as an external drive
You might take a look at this topic which points to a clever idea to avoid using AutoDMG images and look promising regardless of future OS versions.
http://www.deploystudio.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?pid=30323#p30323

Last edited by carlocarlo (2018-08-02 22:24:05)

#27 2018-08-02 22:24:57

Peteo

> carlocarlo wrote:

> The problem is not your 10.13.6 image you created with AutoDMG
It is the DS image you boot from (10.13.6 with a newer build version for MacBook Pro with T2)
ASR works fine in restoring APFS images only up to 10.13.3
So you cannot restore an image if you have to use a newer version to boot your computer from
It would probably work using target disk mode, that is using another computer and booting with 10.13.3 and connecting the MacBook Pro T2 as an external drive
You might take a look at this topic which points to a clever idea to avoid using AutoDMG images and look promising regardless of future OS versions
http://www.deploystudio.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?pid=30323#p30323

Ah so ASR is broken above 10.13.3, that explains why my 10.13.4 boot disk never worked.

Hmm so maybe I could use a workflow to format the disk then launch a script to run the apple installer.
but then of course the computer would reboot and DS workflow would not continue

#28 2018-08-02 22:34:50

carlocarlo

I think you could split your workflow in two/three
Format the disk
Install OS the supported way with a script
Reboot with DS runtime again and run the rest/second part of your workflow
Quite annoying but this is the way I am trying to solve the problem

#29 2018-08-02 22:41:04

Peteo

> carlocarlo wrote:

> I think you could split your workflow in two/three
>Format the disk
>Install OS the supported way with a script
>Reboot with DS runtime again and run the rest/second part of your workflow
>Quite annoying but this is the way I am trying to solve the problem

Yeah we sorta do that now with the firmware. Though cant seem to extract that any more. Using the apple installer will have the benefit of automatically installing the correct firmware update.
Looks like this will be the solution going forward. Maybe the DS team will create some work around tasks for using the apple installer and doing some kind of hook to relaunch DS after the OS is installed.

#30 2018-08-02 23:02:47

carlocarlo

Hope so...
The second part of the workflow (that is after restoring the OS and rebooting with DS runtime) can also become handy and used directly with brand new computers that come with a never booted OS and don’t need a clean install
Problem is that you also have to enable NetBoot in secureboot first, so I would think this can be a good workaround with pre-2018 models (where you can still quickly NetBoot with DS runtime) and quite cumbersome for the future (and already current T2 hardware)
DEP and MDM (where available) is where we have to go...

#31 2018-08-03 14:18:07

Peteo

Yup, you even need to have an account on the system before you can even change the security settings!
Apple should make a signed utility that allows you to change these security settings if there is no account (other than the default ones) on the system. But that's not ever going to happen, its DEP & MDM or the high way!

#32 2018-08-03 14:30:52

carlocarlo

Forgot to mention this other way using a pkg to install the OS
https://github.com/RedClawx/createOSXinstallPkg
It should allow using a single workflow in DS once an universal OS build is available (10.13.6 on AppStore would not be good for 2018 macbook pro)

Last edited by carlocarlo (2018-08-03 14:32:32)

#33 2018-08-28 15:34:15

joopjuh

> Peteo wrote:
Ah so ASR is broken above 10.13.3, that explains why my 10.13.4 boot disk never worked.

Hmm so maybe I could use a workflow to format the disk then launch a script to run the apple installer.
but then of course the computer would reboot and DS workflow would not continue

The problem here is that the new MacBook Pro's with T2 have a different build number and came with 10.13.5
10.13.6 did not bring the build numbers together.

I'm now able to image both iMac Pro and MacBook Pro using two workflows.
1. Disable Security and Allow boot from external drive in the Startup Security Utility.
2. Create 2 scripts in DeployStudio for Erasing and Deploying the image.

In order to create an image for the MacBook Pro i suggest setting it up as normal with an account so that you can disable the security.
Then reboot into recovery and attach a USB Drive. Wipe the USB Drive with APFS and reinstall MacOs onto the external drive.
Once the OS is installed you can either create an image or make some adjustments and add an account with apps. Make sure this is all done on the external drive.
When you think that you have everything boot back into the OS that you have installed on the internal drive.
Open terminal and run the following command.
sudo hdiutil create /path/to/your/image.dmg -srcdevice /dev/rdisk2

/path/to/your/image.dmg is where you want the .dmg file. I prefer my desktop for easy access.
-srcdevice /dev/rdisk2 Make sure that you are creating your image from the correct source. And don't forget the R which should make it faster.

Once it is done you have an image which you can deploy with Deploystudio.
The machines boot of an external drive with a normal MacOs on it and manually installed the DeployStudio Runtime to execute the workflow.
I have 1 workflow with 2 scripts to keep it simple.
As there are 2 buildnumbers i also have 2 external drives to handle either the iMac Pro or the MacBook Pro.
See the scripts below.

PARTITION THE DRIVE
#!/bin/sh

diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk0 GPT APFS "Macintosh HD" R

# start here

exit 0

DEPLOY THE IMAGE.
#!/bin/sh

/usr/sbin/asr restore --source /tmp/DSNetworkRepository/Masters/APFS/YOURIMAGENAMEHERE.dmg --target /dev/rdisk1 --erase --noprompt --noverify --puppetstrings

# start here

exit 0

#34 2018-10-14 08:26:20

QuickMik

sounds great joopjuh. but how to create the master image?
with deploystudio, ASR, hdiutil, carbon copy cloner?

netboot is dead :-(
here i create a external SSD (APFS) with a little boot system (called REPAIR) inclusive carbon copy cloner
and a partition with the hole master hd (not image).
boot from REPAIR
restore with ccc back to the internal SSD.

Board footer