You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2018-05-15 04:13:42

Faye-Faye

Adding script and capture system info

Hi there,

Does anyone adding script to deploy studio workflow for capture Mac system info like Model Number, Serial Number, What Cpu and how many GB of Ram?

We have been image few thousand Mac and capture system info is our bigger issues. Typing system info to data base error alway happen.

I have try Network Inventory Advisor but no luck.

Can anybody please  share script how to add into deploy studio workflow.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Faye

#2 2018-05-17 15:14:43

mjsanders
Website

Re: Adding script and capture system info

You could use Deploystudio, but it does not seem the right tool for inventory.
the default computer database stores serialnumber, Model, but not more. (see the .plist files in your repository /Databases/ByHost/ folder to see what DS normally keeps for mac's)
If you want to collect more info, that is unsupported, and not easy to do.
The biggest disadvantage is that such a script that gets more info will only run at deployment time, and that is usually very infrequent.
For most users the Model (iMac14.2) is good enough, it gives you enough info to decide if you can do the required tasks/OS versions, without knowing the RAM size or CPU speed.

If you have no other tool (Munki, Jamf, etc) you can use Apple Remote Desktop.

Use DeployStudio to enable remote desktop (client) and scan your network (several weeks to find all mac's) and use the reporting from ARD.
Not the best solution, but something that does not cost much money (ARD licence required)

#3 2018-05-18 03:35:46

Faye-Faye

Thank you so much for the information, Delft.

I found another way capture Mac serial number and the model number and etc.
I bought [ Techtool Pro ] and use Protogo create a thin base Mac OS X image from a 2015 Mack book air on a Samsung USB 3.0 jump drive.
I add script into Protogo. I build a ESXi 6.5 VM and install ubuntu on the VM. I also install open source [ Open-AudIT ] on ubuntu.
I use the Protogo USB jump drive boot a Macbook Air and its take about 1 minute log into the Mac desktop and the script automatic send the Macbook Air serial number and model number to Open-AudIT.
Our auditor able to copy and pate the entire Macbook Air System information into the data base.

Thank you,

Faye

#4 2018-06-13 18:37:35

chrisb42

A tool like ARD (Apple Remote Desktop) let's you collect this kind of information fairly easily by sending a Unix command like this:

system_profiler SPHardwareDataType

Board footer