You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2018-01-24 20:52:36

sseaton1971

macOS Server Changes

Looks like some changes are coming from Apple in regards to macOS Server. Most notably, DHCP, DNS, NetInstall, and Wesbites services will be deprecated and eventually removed entirely. What does the future hold for DeployStudio?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208312

#2 2018-01-24 23:10:25

Peteo

Re: macOS Server Changes

Well it looks like net booting will be done. Probably in 10.14.

Not sure if the others matter. You can run DS on a non server macOS. But the writing is on the wall with the T2 chip probably coming to all new mac's in the future.

#3 2018-01-27 15:55:21

jelockwood

I get the impression that the 2018 version of Server.app will remove these options if your not already using them but leave them if you are, however it is clear that the following version - presumably 2019 will lose them completely regardless.

If DeployStudio is to have any future it needs to be ported to Linux as a number of people have already suggested. They authors could perhaps combine this with improved Linux and Windows imaging i.e. add workflows for those operating systems.

#4 2018-01-29 04:33:34

sseaton1971

The things I am hearing from our contacts at Apple (non-NDA info) are that there is some possible deployment options in the way of multicast asr disk image to file transfers. So, maybe monolithic imaging is going away, but installers and other files and scripts could be transferred very quickly with multicast asr and installed with scripts or other mechanisms. Perhaps DeployStudio could be one of those other mechanisms. I never thought about the transfer of a .dmg containing installers and other files using multicast asr, but I think that could be the future. Maybe part of DeployStudio server could be a netboot service. What do you think DS admins?

#5 2018-01-29 13:19:09

Tsnes

Was going to post about this, but it looks like you've already posted! So, following this with interest...

#6 2018-01-29 15:31:45

PsyMan2000

Just read the news myself and came straight here, moved away from our legacy xserves last year as they are sadly becoming old and abandoned by Apple and now use Mac Minis purely for Deploy Studio, we have a fair few classrooms full of iMacs that get re-imaged annually (and when broken or new ones arrive). I have been dreading this inevitable news to be honest as the server OS (was a full OS when I started using it) has been whittled away year by year and turned in to nothing more than an afterthought App.

I would love to see DS ported to Linux and put back the DeployStudio PC side again. I have already started tinkering with FOG just in case (not had a huge success) but would much rather have the intuitive and familiar aspects of Deploy Studio any time.

Following this for thoughts and ideas from like minded DS fans too.

#7 2018-01-29 19:27:27

sseaton1971

Netbooting is not required for multicast asr. It should be possible to boot a Mac and then have a little utility or CL script start a dmg file transfer using multicast asr. This would really help get files (app installers, scripts, profiles, etc.) from the server to clients very quickly. Sure, that won't upgrade the OS, but perhaps there will be other options for that. It might be possible to install macOS updates, though. Also, there is the possibility that netbooting will once again be allowed in systems like the iMac Pro. Then third party netboot servers can be used in conjunction with macOS and/or macOS Server. For sure, things are going to change, but there still might be options other than DEP.

> Peteo wrote:

> Well it looks like net booting will be done. Probably in 10.14.

Not sure if the others matter. You can run DS on a non server macOS. But the writing is on the wall with the T2 chip probably coming to all new mac's in the future.

#8 2018-02-01 20:16:43

mcduff

I was planning on ordering a new mac mini for my DS setup this summer, I think I will order it now so I can get it configured as I like before Server.app starts getting "streamlined"!

It was a year ago that DerFlounder wrote that apple wants to kill or control imaging (https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2017/01/10/imaging-will-be-dead-soon-ish/) so this is not unexpected but that does not make me happy about it.

SSEATON1971: Thanks for mentioning the , that one slipped by me and now I have one more thing to fret about when it comes to wrangling my lab full of macs! ;-) https://9to5mac.com/2018/01/04/t2-chip-imac-pro/

#9 2018-02-02 10:30:08

jelockwood

If the DeployStudio team fail to port their software to Linux you could look at either the free NetSUS - https://github.com/jamf/NetSUS from Jamf, or the also free Imagr - https://github.com/grahamgilbert/imagr (see also https://macmule.com/projects/autoimagrnbi/ )

Personally I hope they do port DeployStudio as it is (currently) the best solution.

#10 2018-02-02 16:10:53

cashxx

Yea, very sad times!  I donated here to help keep DeployStudio alive!  Hope it stays around as well!

#11 2018-03-16 10:51:37

Tsnes

Bit disappointed that no one from the DeployStudio developers has replied to this... :(

#12 2018-04-11 19:41:38

admin
Administrator
Website

Hi guys, we do not plan to port DeployStudio Server to another platform.
If the T2 ship with secure boot and disk encryption is generalized to the whole Mac family, there will be no more space for monolithic and modular imaging.
In that context we believe that DEP/VPP/MDM is the way to go.

So, we’ll do our best to support current hardware as long as macOS supports imaging, but it’s time to get prepared for modern deployment programs and solutions.

#13 2018-04-12 23:14:14

Trikster

> admin wrote:

> Hi guys, we do not plan to port DeployStudio Server to another platform.
If the T2 ship with secure boot and disk encryption is generalized to the whole Mac family, there will be no more space for monolithic and modular imaging.
In that context we believe that DEP/VPP/MDM is the way to go.

So, we’ll do our best to support current hardware as long as macOS supports imaging, but it’s time to get prepared for modern deployment programs and solutions.
----------------------------------------------------

The question now is, what is the future of Deploy Studio?  Modern deployment programs and solutions, in their current state, is so slow...  Also, it is VERY hard to deploy custom configurations that exist to all users using something like JAMF.  Hell, I have better luck with Apple Remote Desktop sending out these configurations than with JAMF.  My main concern with the new chip is the lockdown of the User Template area.  I use that extensively in my labs. If I can't get there, my job is going to be even harder.

Board footer