You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2017-11-15 21:50:29

Phych

APFS images created in DeployStudio not booting

With an APFS image created via netbooted 1.7.8, restoring the image results in "?" folder on boot. High Sierra needs to be reinstalled after the restore process in order for the image to become bootable. However, an image created with AutoDMG restores with no problems.

Tested on an iMac18,1.

#2 2017-11-20 17:09:48

oleksiak

Re: APFS images created in DeployStudio not booting

Are you sure you restored the image on Mac which had updated firmware? In other words, was this Mac running High Sierra before?

#3 2017-11-28 05:50:51

Phych

> oleksiak wrote:

> Are you sure you restored the image on Mac which had updated firmware? In other words, was this Mac running High Sierra before?

Yes. This is a system that has previously been upgraded to High Sierra via App Store.

#4 2017-11-28 10:34:41

oleksiak

I was curious if this workflow would fail for me too, but I am unable to test it, because my DeployStudio server still runs on macOS 10.12.6.
Attempt to create APFS image fails on server postprocessing. That's expected.

#5 2017-11-30 01:34:59

Meat

I don't think the Server OS version matters. It only matters what OS version the netboot image is. That is my understanding...

#6 2017-11-30 09:52:10

oleksiak

DeployStudio Server performs image scanning necessary for making image ready to restore by asr tool. If it cannot understand its format, it fails.

#7 2017-11-30 16:05:26

Jkersten

DS does not appear to be properly capturing APFS volumes. In particular the preboot and recovery volumes are not being captured, so the image created is incomplete. To demonstrate:

* Create a never-booted APFS image with AutoDMG.
* Mount the image and do a diskutil list. You'll see the preboot and recovery volumes within the APFS container in the image.
* If you restore this image with DS it will work, but if instead of rebooting you immediately recapture the disk you just restored, the resulting DS-captured image will not have the recovery and preboot volumes in it. You'll notice that zip files are created in <repository>/Masters/temp for the preboot and recovery volumes. These remain after the image is processed and moved to Masters/APFS. So it seems DS tries to capture these, but something is going off the rails. This behavior can be easily reproduced when running DSR from a 10.13.x boot volume (i.e. not a question of trying to capture from a pre-APFS OS).

Hopefully this gets addressed soon. Despite all of the "imaging is dead" advice repeated ad nauseum, restoring a 10.13 image to a system that already had 10.13 installed correctly (i.e. has correct firmware) is in fact a supported use case per Apple's tech note. In our case, it's not about upgrading the OS as much as deploying the *OTHER* 120GB+ of software to our lab machines, as well as the ability to wipe and reload the system between semesters. Imaging is still required for this scenario. We have ways of working this now for existing machines (e.g. restore 10.12 then run the 10.13 installer to upgrade), but when new systems show up that won't boot 10.12/HFS, the ability to capture and restore APFS images properly will be critical.

#8 2017-12-01 17:02:21

oleksiak

Actually I am having trouble to make proper restorable macOS system APFS image in any way using Disk Utility / hdiutil, with Deploy Studio or without...
Only AutoDMG-created image works properly after restore.

PS. "Wipe and reload" is much easier now, that you have snapshot support in filesystem. Although getting system up to date would require work still.

#9 2017-12-04 15:37:42

Jkersten

I tried an experiment which looks promising:

1) Used Carbon Copy Cloner 5.0.4 to back up an existing APFS disk to a new sparseimage (5.0.4 added support for preboot and recovery partitions).
2) Manually converted sparseimage to readonly dmg and scanned.
3) restored the image from 2) in a DS workflow that first partitioned the target drive as a single HFS volume. After the restoration the disk structure appears to correct and the drive boots successfully (admittedly this was a simple test on a single volume SSD -- i.e. no dual boot, multiple partitions, etc). The image created by CCC has the complete container structure embedded within it.

The upshot of all of this is that there is no fundamental reason DS shouldn't be able to capture an APFS image were it updated to do so.

Re: snapshot support, this could hypothetically allow a "system rollback" feature (the way it is currently implemented does not), but this would not address the primary reason we image -- namely the deployment of ~120GB worth 3rd party software and assorted customizations to lab machines, much of which does not play well with MDM.

#10 2017-12-04 15:45:13

oleksiak

DS "make image" action relies on hdiutil block-level copy. What you did there is making a file-level copy (it is similar to how AutoDMG creates its image too), but with rsync bundled with CCC. It is good to know such method works, thanks.

Board footer