You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2017-11-17 15:30:45

Surprentis

No Recovery Partition found! When creating USB bootable

Hi all,

When trying to create a bootable USB stick via DeployStudio Assistant on 1.7.4.4 AND tried with 1.7.8 I am greeted with this dreaded "No Recovery partition found!"  "A recovery partition is required to b uild a bootable external drive since OS X 10.8". 

I am running MAC OSX 10.12.6

I have followed the following instructions from https://www.macobserver.com/tips/deep-dive/macos-recovery-partition-without-reinstalling-macos/2/ to create a recovery partition on my mac which seemed to work but still deploystudio throws this error.  I really need this to work I really need to create bootable USB sticks in order for this to work in my environment I have no other choice.  Can someone please help me figure out how to solve this issue?

Thanks!
Surp

#2 2017-11-18 15:14:55

mjsanders
Website

Re: No Recovery Partition found! When creating USB bootable

I guess that on the Mac you run the DS assitant on, there is something not default as for the recovery partition. That can be bootcamp, extra bootable partitions, etc.
My trick is to use a DMG made by AutoDMG as source.
Since that dmg is freshly made, the recovery partition on that is always the correct version, and you can make an bootable disk (I make .nbi's this way, but USB stick should work the same).
To prevent confusion, rename your local disk to something like ServerHD (not the default Macintosh HD)
So create a dmg using the macOS version of choice, mount the dmg (Macintosh HD by default) by double clicking.
use this mounted volume as source for the DS Assistant.

If things fail, I assume that there are some (invisble) mounted volumes around from previous attempts, so reboot to clean that up and try again.
(reason: all tools create, mount, unmount hidden volumes during their work)

#3 2017-11-20 14:00:54

Surprentis

Re: No Recovery Partition found! When creating USB bootable

> mjsanders wrote:

> I guess that on the Mac you run the DS assitant on, there is something not default as for the recovery partition. That can be bootcamp, extra bootable partitions, etc.
My trick is to use a DMG made by AutoDMG as source.
Since that dmg is freshly made, the recovery partition on that is always the correct version, and you can make an bootable disk (I make .nbi's this way, but USB stick should work the same).
To prevent confusion, rename your local disk to something like ServerHD (not the default Macintosh HD)
So create a dmg using the macOS version of choice, mount the dmg (Macintosh HD by default) by double clicking.
use this mounted volume as source for the DS Assistant.

If things fail, I assume that there are some (invisble) mounted volumes around from previous attempts, so reboot to clean that up and try again.
(reason: all tools create, mount, unmount hidden volumes during their work)

Any chance you can make a step by step?  I have no idea how to do this as I don't usually work with macs but being in a school environment I am forced to now.  Would GREATLY appreciate the help...

Board footer