You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2017-09-21 17:25:43

avusd

Deployment Q's: How to push out Adobe CC package to Computer Lab

Running DS 1.7.6 on OS X  Mac Mini Server 10.12.6

Package was created with Adobe Creative Cloud Packager (CCP) and configured to deploy package in Applications folder
Created Install Package workflow with package in /Packages (only task in workflow) with Automate selected and reset default workflow checked
Selected Computer Group with Lab machines with identifier showing MAC addresses but no host names appear. Default workflow is correct

1) What triggers the target to initiate workflow? 
      - Do I have to boot with N key on all targets and select workflow?
      - I thought the packages would auto-install but what is trigger?
      - Do I need to select Python and / or Ruby for the NetBoot Set?

2) 2.0 Docs reference Workgroup Manager but I don't see it on the Server. 
     - Does this help define Computer Groups?

3) DS Runtime - shows loopback address on start instead of Server name.  DNS is setup and working fine. 
        - What is DS Runtime for on DS Admin console?  If selected on DS Admin console it pushes packages onto Server not Computer Group targets.

I have successfully installed Adobe CC by doing the following:
1) Boot target with N key and selected a File Copy workflow which copied the .pkg file to the target /User/username/Desktop
2) Manually clicked .pkg on target to install package

I have got to be missing something with the power of DS... just not sure what.  I've read the docs ad nauseum

Any help appreciated!

#2 2017-09-21 23:49:48

lccmactech

Re: Deployment Q's: How to push out Adobe CC package to Computer Lab

Hi.
When creating your install package workflow, did you point the path to the Target Volume you wanted to install Adobe CC on? 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzck8D0JafcgaHQ3bnZLck5UT2c/view?usp=sharing

Yes, you will need to start DeployStudio by NetBooting the workstations; either manually (holding N key) or otherwise. I often use the Set StartUp Disk option in ARD and restart the workstations with the desired configured workflow. 

Good luck.

#3 2017-09-26 02:58:43

Phych

1) You can either choose the workflow manually or set computers (or computer groups) to automatically execute a workflow in DS Admin (Automation tab)
- No. You can go to System Preferences and you should be able to see the NetBoot image or use Apple Remote Desktop
- No trigger needed. Make sure .pkg file is in the Packages folder in your DeployStudio Repository. That's it.
- No

2) Workgroup Manager is Apple's old management software. You can think of it as last generation Profile Manager. It is no longer supported by Apple.
- No. Computer groups are handled by DS Admin.

3)  DS Runtime is only for deploying images on the machine that runs it. The only use I can think of for the DS Admin console is to see what it'll look like on client machines.

#4 2017-10-05 19:41:46

Trikster

Would it not be easier to just use Apple Remote Desktop to push out the package?  What would be the benefit of using DS here?

#5 2017-10-06 10:45:48

Foggy

Run a simple hostname form first to get the Macs in the computers list in the DS repo?
I use Creative Cloud Packager and push this out with MUNKI. Then you could use Adobe Remote Update Manager to keep that iteration of the software up to date. Then when RUM no longer updates after version jumps I run the uninstaller via MUNKI and push out a new pkg made with CCP. Crude but it works. ARD relies on the Macs being available and the admin needs to run around booting hanging machines remembering which ones got the package etc with MUNKI you just let it get on with it.

DS is bit difficult if your labs are full of users.

If you DO use ARD to set the startup disk make sure you add a generic script like "bless -mount /Volumes/MacOSX -setboot exit 0" to your DS workflow.
If you want to choose different start ups (you may have more than one DS server) hold "alt" on start up put in your firmware password if you have one and you will see available .nbi and other start ups.

Board footer