You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2017-08-17 00:29:47

Meat

Not really a problem. Multicast related.

So, I spend about 3 hours configuring an image multicast and here are some takeaways from that experience.

Gig Ethernet on isolated VLAN:
While it seems like it should just go, whatever speeds you select (GIG!) it wasn't the case.
I had to keep trying (about 5 tries before success) with lower and lower network and disk speeds until It finally worked.

I finally hit on checking the target machines to see what their reported max transfer speeds were. I saw bursts of network speeds around 14MBs, and decided to go a bit lower than that. 11 MBs.
The disk speed wasn't soooo much an issue, but I determined to go a bit lower than the max bursts I saw on the clients as well. 35MBs

I then adjusted the DeployStudio Server such that the image multicast rates were within the realm of that client reality.

Now, a multicast to 11+ targets runs for about 75 minutes, and all complete successful, with a few dropped packets here and there, which get picked up on a brief automated (the nature of multicast) retry.

Unicasting this image to one machine takes about 40+ minutes, so multicast being what it is, 75 minutes is not entirely unexpected.
Unicasting the same image to multiple machines is painful to watch, particularly on a slower network.

It does work! :D

Board footer