You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2017-05-30 16:51:15

Jason

Package requires XML file

I have a package that requires an XML file to work properly.  The .xml needs to be in the same folder as the .pkg file when it runs.  I tried just putting the .xml in the DS packages folder but that didn't work.  Any suggestions?

#2 2017-05-30 17:37:17

Meat

Re: Package requires XML file

Meta package?
A package with a package and an xml file inside?
Deploys both to a directory, runs a post install script that runs your actual installer.

#3 2017-05-30 19:45:26

Jason

I don't have any experience creating packages.  I tried using this command:

productbuild --package ~/my.pkg --content ~/my.xml ~/new.pkg

But it returned:

error: "my.pkg" is a product archive, not a component package.

#4 2017-05-31 17:25:56

Meat

Might try "Packages" ( http://s.sudre.free.fr )
It's fairly straight forward.

Drop your package and the xml into a folder (ex. /Library/itshelp )
Launch Packages and add itshelp folder to the /Library/ path, then expand itshelp fully
You should see your folder and its contents (package, and xml file) in the Library (as represented in Packages)

You can then create an executable script that cd's to your itshelp folder, installs your package, then deletes the itshelp folder (optional)
Add the script to your Packages project as a post-install script.

So the package you create will place an "itshelp" folder and it's contents in the target system's /Library folder, then actually install the software.
It can be done somewhat cleaner, but this is THE most basic "meta" package creation example.

After you've succeeded creating working deployment packages several times, you'll find it's a lot easier than the documentation would lead you to believe. ;)
If you intend to deploy via interwebs, you'll either need an Apple Developer account to sign the packages, or you'll need to include documentation for users to right-click the package and choose "open", then click "open" again.

Board footer