You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2017-05-03 18:41:40

styles234

New to DS - Trying to set up netboot

Hey Everyone,

I'm attempting to set up my first DeployStudio server and I'm running into some issues.

First off, I was able to install DS to an external hard drive and that worked just fine. I'm able to boot into that and get to the runtime and restore a master image to our macs.
I'm trying to translate this over to a server setup with netboot so we can just network boot the client machine and it will download and start the runtime.

I have the same image set on my server and I've created a netboot image using the deploystudioruntime 1 selection instead of current boot volume and the server sees the netboot image and the client machine can see it and begin the boot process.

Once booted however, I never get the deploystudio runtime. It just boots up, shows the desktop background of the world and green / yellow beads and a terminal window.

What am I doing wrong? Seems like it can't pull down the deploystudio runtime and run it and just fails over to a blank terminal window but I can't figure out a way to get it working.

If you need any more information about my setup, just ask. I'm not sure what details are relevant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

#2 2017-05-09 00:44:56

Meat

Re: New to DS - Trying to set up netboot

What version of the OS is your netboot image built from?
What version of DeployStudio was used to create the netboot image, and which version is on the server?
You should always build your Netboot image from the most recent desktop or laptop you have to deploy.

Try recreating your netboot image from a clean install of the OS on your most recent hardware. You can use your external, but make sure you have it fully updated too (combo update?), and make sure you have the setting to display the log enabled.

If this still doesn't work, tell us what settings you're using (including the information at the start of my post) during your netboot build.

Last edited by Meat (2017-05-09 00:45:46)

#3 2017-05-09 07:47:27

mjsanders
Website

Re: New to DS - Trying to set up netboot

I try to follow your issue, and I cannot understand what you have done se let me give some general advise:
Please read the Quick Install Guide, it explains most of the settings you need to do.
1-configure the server (most important the repo share, and network settings, If dns fails, use IP addresses)
2-create netboot set
3-create images (or better: use AutoDMG to create images)
4-deploy images
Find the guide at the Documentation part on this website ( http://www.deploystudio.com/Downloads/Extras/Quick_Install_Guide.pdf)

Board footer