You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2017-03-25 16:46:51

dupablada

New install issues

I'm in the process of setting up Deploy Studio for a new client. I've done this a number of times before, but have not had any reason to setup a new install in well over a year so I'm a bit our of touch with the most recent updates, bugs and fixes.

The system is being installed on OS X 10.12.3 sever app is version 5.2. I started off with DS version 1.7.6 then tried 1.7.5 even dropped down as far as 1.6.19. DS installs and I can configure it as usual The repository is on a network share (this has worked fine in the past without issue).

I attempted to create a netboot set from the server it's self, but was presented with a recovery partition mismatch error I believe it was. I gave it a go anyway but did not work so I created a second set from a brand new iMac 27" which did not error.

When I tried to boot the new iMac from DS it would netboot up until a point where it would through up an error and then reboot. The error presents similar to a kernel panic, but it was not I believe it was something to do with memory. I tried this on another machine older 21" imac and it did the same thing.

A year or so back I remember there being an issue with netinstall service in OS X server that I cam across so I tried to just create a plain netrestore image using System Image Utility and loaded that into Netinstall service. The same thing happened when I tried to boot the system. I don't believe there is an issue with the install of the machine as it is a brand new install.

So I just wanted to get my bearings really and find out if there is something obvious I am missing. Does Netinstall actually work in 10.12.3 or is it broke like it used to be? I suspect this might be the case and the reason why the whole install is falling down. If it is does anyone have a fix for it? If this is not the issue anyone have any pointers.

#2 2017-03-31 18:55:19

Meat

Re: New install issues

I have 3 DeployStudio servers running 10.12.3.
Do a clean reinstall of the OS on the machine (or external boot volume if you have one) you will create the netboot set on. You'll probably wind up with a 10.12.4 netboot, but that should still work...

If the logs or verbose netboot aren't telling you where the netboot fails, try setting up a share on the image server itself and point to it in DeployStudio Assistant server configuration, just to "simplify".

Board footer