You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2017-01-18 17:43:39

ghobes

switching from Casper JAMF to Deploy Studio

Hello community!

I just started at a new job that has been trying out Casper but they want to now switch to Deploy Studio.  Installing and configuring doesn't seem too bad but my question is how much can translate from Casper; specifically the DMGs.

There is a large library of all the DMGs from Base OS to install files for applications.  Can deploy studio take those or am I starting from scratch in building up a database of files?

Any resources on switching would be great thank you!

-Andrew

#2 2017-01-19 16:35:03

mjsanders
Website

Re: switching from Casper JAMF to Deploy Studio

I am not an expert on Casper Imaging, but in general the dmg's created with Composer are in a different format than DeployStudio can use.
(it may depend on the method used to create the dmg's)

I would recommend to re-create more or less clean images with just the OS on it using AutoDMG (https://github.com/MagerValp/AutoDMG/) and use a workflow to deploy this base OS image, add a QuickAdd package to enroll the mac's into your JSS, and do the rest of the app's and management from the JSS.

That way you can use the existing workflows, and these workflows are also applicable to new Mac's that enroll out of the box (imaging the new MacBook pro with TouchBar can be an issue), and if you get DEP in the future both workflows will merge.

A (minor?) disadvantage is that the setup (installing all apps) takes more time than deploying images with all software in it.
But those images need to be updated all the time, which is double work with updating your JSS, hence my advice to deploy images with just macOS on them.

Many use DeployStudio for the (re-) imaging of the Macs, and the rest of software and mangement in Casper
see this discussion on jamfnation: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/17354/casper-imaging-versus-deploystudio

#3 2017-01-20 19:59:25

Meat

Thanks for mentioning the "minor" disadvantage. This paragraph is off of the original topic somewhat, so please forgive me.
The reduction in maintenance time of images is far outweighed, in my experience, by the increase of deployment time to each machine for over-the-air app and configuration installs. Add in network traffic on various segments, and you've got some fun explaining how long it'll be before the machine is completely configured...
just my 2 cents.

Slightly more on topic, does Casper do anything to a standard software package from a vendor, or does it just deploy the software package as is? We're looking at acquiring Casper for our Mac management functions. Currently using LANDesk, which has "fair" Mac support, but looking for best of breed support maybe.

#4 2017-01-26 17:52:14

Peteo

> ghobes wrote:

> Hello community!

>I just started at a new job that has been trying out Casper but they want to now switch to Deploy Studio.  Installing and configuring doesn't seem too bad but my question is how much can translate from Casper; specifically the DMGs.

>There is a large library of all the DMGs from Base OS to install files for applications.  Can deploy studio take those or am I starting from scratch in building up a database of files?

>Any resources on switching would be great thank you!

>-Andrew

How old are the Mac's? You might want to rethink getting rid of Jamf, or start looking at another MDM solution. Apple is hinting pretty loudly that once APFS is in place imaging is done and MDM is the way to deploy macs.

#5 2017-03-07 20:15:23

alvmac201

I am glad I saw this.... as a deploy studio user for the past 7 years you will want to hold on to Casper.

1. Until AFS is fully in place ( and its coming ) I use deploy studio to basically create a recovery partition, name my machines, and join them to the domain. I moved from thick imaging to completely thin imaging 2 years ago.
2. I was using FileWave prior to using Casper and will tell you using a true Mac Management program is by FAR the way to go. If you are struggling with the usage of casper or cost of casper then your probably not ready for DEP & AFS. Never has our Apple tech rep told us SPECIFICALLY to make sure you have something in place to manage your macs. Apple has always been hands off when it comes to the tools you use to manage your devices. Once I started to check out the development information on AFS I realized why.
3. Casper Imaging is terrible and can be very frustrating but using DeployStudio with Casper is very easy and works extremely well. If you need assistance with that I am willing to help but I am telling you apple never gives warnings don't give up on Casper. I have done mac management the hard way and unless you have something else for an MDM up your sleeve you will want to stick with Jamf. Their support is the best and where Jamf 10 is going with built in update capability from AutoPkg it could make your environment run almost hands free.

Let me know if you would like some help....

#6 2017-03-07 21:06:04

Peteo

> alvmac201 wrote:

> I am glad I saw this.... as a deploy studio user for the past 7 years you will want to hold on to Casper.

Yes every one should be looking for solutions on how they will deploy macs. As far as imaging it sounds like its dead. This means setting up macs out of the box with the OS already installed or booting into recovery, wiping the drive and downloading the OS from apple and installing it. No one knows what else they might lock down (plists in library?) They are also recommending using config profiles to set mac settings. (like screen saver, wifi, power etc..)

#7 2017-03-07 22:19:56

alvmac201

Jamf told me that they stopped development on the imaging process when Apple stopped adding Enterprise functionality to it 2 years ago. In my last meeting with Jamf to discuss my implementation of Casper they asked me if I had modularized everything. I told them I had 95% percent of it done already. The reply I got was good because you will need to do this very soon.

Board footer