You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2017-01-12 22:56:00

hfike

blessing boot drive

I’m using a workflow to wipe the drive, and then install 10.12.2 built with COSXIP. Then I use a no-image workflow to set the hostname, localize, set the date/time, configure, join AD, install munki and kickstart. My problem is, once that workflow runs and reboots, it boots to the flashing folder with the "?" Manually selecting Macintosh HD at the boot picker allows it to run the finalization scripts and package installers, but then it boots again to the flashing "?" Another manual selection of Macintosh HD allows the machine to boot to the login window and them munki kicks off.

I haven’t tested a reboot from that point, but anybody know a fix?

I’m on DS 1.7.6 and the netboot is built on 10.12.2 16C68. I’m guessing this is SIP related, but wanted to see if there is a automated work-around. I've tried running the following script at the end of the work flow, not postponed, to no effect:

#!/bin/sh

/usr/sbin/bless --mount "/Volumes/Macintosh HD" --setBoot --verbose

exit 0

--
Harry

#2 2017-01-12 23:42:57

hfike

Re: blessing boot drive

I found that using the code below might work now...

bless --mount /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD --setBoot --verbose

Need to test in the DS netboot environment, though that did work when done from recovery.

#3 2017-01-13 00:03:47

hfike

Welp, I'm not entirely sure what is going on, but I ran that command in my no-image workflow and still not working. I added "bless --getboot" before and after that command and the result of both is /dev/disk0s2.

So still same problem. I tried again from recovery on multiple other machines and it is working that way.

--
Harry

#4 2017-01-13 20:33:28

hfike

As a test, I ran the same workflow to erase the hard drive and install 10.12.2 COSXIP. This completes successfully. I then quit the Setup Assistant, netboot into DS, open terminal and run "bless --getboot" and the result is "/dev/disk0s2". I then created a new workflow with just the Hostname Form, ran that workflow and reboot. Flashing ?! I netboot again to DS and run "bless --getboot" and the result is "Can't determine parent media /dev/disk0".

I'm at a loss.

--
Harry

#5 2017-01-17 08:29:08

mjsanders
Website

For my specific setup with local DeployStudio I changed the command from using bless to using systemsetup:

/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setstartupdisk "/Volumes/$DS_LAST_RESTORED_VOLUME"

maybe you can solve your issues using systemsetup?

read my blog post here: https://www.lai.nl/en/local-deploystudio-setup-for-classes-10-11-issues-solved/

#6 2017-01-18 19:02:21

hfike

Hey mjsander, thanks for that command. Since I am doing a no-image workflow and that command does not seem to be in DS, I modified it slightly:

/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setstartupdisk "/Volumes/Macintosh HD"

The command run successfully, however, in the end, the problem still exists. I'll do some more testing to see what I can find.

Thanks!
--
Harry

Board footer