You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2016-04-12 02:04:14

AlexPilon

How to deploy clean (virgin) OS X El Capitan image

Hi all,

Fairly new to DeployStudio (aka, installed it about 4 hours ago), and I ran into a (probably stupid) issue.

We have different images that will be created and captured for different purposes (with/without the Adobe suite, etc.). Those work fine, tested it before going "all in".

The one I'm having an issue with though is just getting DS to deploy and install a clean OS X El Capitan from scratch, with no configuration or anything.
The reason for this is because A) I'll regenerate this image whenever there's a new build/version so I need it without any configuration, and B) We sell our old Macbook Pro when they're too old, so we just want an image that is installed/applied, but will boot to the "first boot" screen where the person who purchases it can do they're own settings.

I tried using the DMG file included in the package content from the "Install OS X El Capitan.app" file but it was a no-go.
I also tried the obvious, which was to plug a bootable USB key with El Capitan on it, and then capture the key. It took a few minutes to get captured, file size seemed right (a 6.2 GB if I remember correctly), so I deployed it to test it out: Deployment took less than 2 minutes, and upon reboot it went straight to the default Apple wizard to install El Capitan (agree to terms, select the HDD, etc.).

How can I go about doing basically what "NetInstall" did in the OS X Server app, aka, just restoring the image so it can reboot to "first boot" screen and let the user/buyer customize it according to their needs ?

Thanks a bunch for the help :D

#2 2016-04-12 04:03:57

fiavvek

Re: How to deploy clean (virgin) OS X El Capitan image

I use AutoDMG to create the clean DMG with no config:

https://github.com/MagerValp/AutoDMG

and then I just move the image into the repository... has been working for several years now with constant updates.

#3 2016-04-12 17:56:52

AlexPilon

Re: How to deploy clean (virgin) OS X El Capitan image

YES! It worked fine, and the deployment went SUPER fast (less than 4 minutes, compared to almost half an hour with Apple's Server app). Thanks for the quick answer :)

Board footer