You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2016-02-10 11:50:37

ultramizer

Shutdown, Reboot and Plan-B Features

Hi Everybody

I want to thank the dev team for the great work so far.
I would have some ideas for future versions that i think wouldn't be that hard to implement as the basics already exist within OSX and/or ARD.

It would be nice to have some sort of remote managing functionality that goes beyond that of the current VNC thing. It would be nice to have a reboot or shutdown button, preferably both, that allows the user to reboot a machine through DS Admin if for example the VNC fails. This is still a common issue with the current El Capitan release, so it would be nice to have some sort of Plan-B.

As of right now for me for example, it is key to have ARD access, as the server is in a completely different building and it's a 30minute job and walk to get it to reboot, if the ARD fails, and it does that alot.
So the way i would think this would be achievable, is by implementing a tiny ssh server or just enabling the built-in ssh server, which would then receive commands like reboot, shutdown and so on. You would then be able to see when the Workflow is done, like you are right now, but could then reboot the machine remotely if ARD fails. I understand that you can add reboots to Workflows, but sometimes i get stuck even before i can start a workflow and then don't have any access to it.

Let me know if you think that's a good idea, or if that has been discussed already, the search brings up thousands of results if i search for "reboot" or "shutdown" or stuff like that...

Thanks!

Cheers!

Board footer