You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2016-01-28 13:05:26

JonathanG

Fusion Drive detection and workflow selection

Hi there,

Since FusionDrive Macs were released the footprint of these models was rather small, however, we're seeing an increase of FusionDrive Macs since the last half year or so.
At the moment DS has no built in way to tell the difference between a normal Mac and a FusionDrive Mac -unless- you check beforehand, the latter is something that seems hard to implement into the brains of my techs.
Most of them just select the normal workflow which results in DS breaking the FusionDrive and restoring OSX on the SSD, leaving the HDD unused, which is rather undesired.

What i'm suggesting is a workflow that can detect and possibly select the appropriate action to take or ask which action to take (or select the desired workflow based on the outcome)

I'd write my own plugin to do this but i really lack the knowledge to do this, which is unfortunate.

Tell me what you think, please :)

#2 2016-01-30 16:39:05

meca62793

Re: Fusion Drive detection and workflow selection

Where I work, I have created a second workflow just for restoring an os to a fusion drive. I even named it fusion drive restore a master so no one else gets confused.

#3 2016-02-02 15:01:20

erik

Jonathan,

I wrote a python script that does just this.

https://github.com/erikng/deploystudio_scripts/blob/master/conditionals/Automated_DS_Workflows-Fusion_No_Trigger.py

This is the least complex version of the script (you'll find the others in the root conditionals folder), but essentially just change the last lines https://github.com/erikng/deploystudio_scripts/blob/master/conditionals/Automated_DS_Workflows-Fusion_No_Trigger.py#L98-L101 and point to the workflow you want to run. Your technicians can then select this workflow which will trigger your other workflows, which could be hidden.

These scripts have allowed to us to only have one visible workflow that triggers several other workflows based on conditions.

#4 2016-02-08 12:29:18

JonathanG

Wow Erik,

I just read it and it looks solid, thank you very much!

Will implement this later this week, i really appreciate this :)

#5 2016-02-10 11:39:51

ultramizer

Thank you Erik for that script!
I am also in need of something like that. Thank you for sharing!

#6 2016-09-08 13:47:48

darkmuncan

This is incredibly helpful thanks!

Is there a way to do something similar to run a hidden workflow based on hostname (from data entered at Config Form step) ?

i.e. If machine name contains AU% run Workflow 1, OR machine name contains NZ% run Workflow 2.

Board footer