You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2015-09-23 16:03:11

Wolverine-911

Runtime crashes on all clients

I'm trying to install Deploy Studio fresh but am having some issues. I've followed all the instructions and the server is all set up with relevant areas shared etc, the NetBoot has been created and the client macs can see it.

I've used a client mac to try and boot into DS and create a master image. The spinning globe appears, it gets to the DS Runtime window with my custom background and it totally freezes at the authentication stage. It has my correct server address & password in, indeed the log in the background tells me I have been successfully authorised, but all I get is a spinning ball of misery. The clock in the top right corner is frozen and I cannot do anything. No matter how many times I reboot or use different macs, they all do the same.

What on earth have I missed out or done wrong? I'm completely stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 2015-09-23 21:17:52

Meat

Re: Runtime crashes on all clients

What OS is the server running?
What version of DeployStudio?
What did you create your netboot set on?
What OS version was it running?
Is there some corruption (privileges, file structure) on the drive you built the netboot image on?
Did you try building a new netboot set?

#3 2015-09-24 09:31:22

Wolverine-911

Thank you for your reply.

1) 10.10.5 (it was running 10.10.4 at first, upgraded when not working and still not working)
2) v1.6.16
3) An iMac running as the server with the server app
4) 10.10.5 (it was running 10.10.4 at first, upgraded when not working and still not working)
5) No corruption
6) Tried a new NetBoot set and also importing an old NetBoot set from our Mavericks server

We have a working Mavericks environment with DS and it has had no issues whatsoever. Nobody here was involved in setting this up and only started working here when it was already up and running. We are now trying to create a Yosemite environment, testing with 1 iMac as a server and another 2 as clients. The Mavericks server still operates and functions correctly whilst we do this. Regardless of what I do with the Yosemite server, I cannot get DS on clients any further than the login screen & beachball of death.

I have also tried using a Mavericks client NetBooting to the set on the Yosemite server, it also crashes at the login window so it doesn't sound like an issue with the OS version of a client.

#4 2015-09-24 17:49:02

Meat

If you're netbooting a target machine, the OS on the target machine's hard drive doesn't really come into play, unless it's a newer model machine and the netboot image doesn't have the necessary drivers to successfully boot up the machine. So yes. Your last statement is largely correct. (stay tuned for El Capitan!)

Did you configure the netboot set to have the log window displayed as the default. Does that log window say anything useful? (sounds like you'll have some time to look at it :P )

Is the account used to connect to the server a local account on the server, and in the admin group?

Did you see the recent video someone posted a link to, regarding setting up a new DeployStudio server?
http://www.deploystudio.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?id=7402

Is your test environment isolated from all other network resources (not physically connected to the production network or your existing imaging network)?
If it is not, can you locate a simple standalone switch or hub, and create an isolated network to perform your testing on?
This may mean you have to configure DHCP (turn on, and set up a single subnet IP address range), and DNS (basically, just turn it on).
You may also need to create a new netboot set to point to the server on its new isolated network.

If you get it working in that scenario, then before joining it to your production network, verify whether you should turn off the DHCP on this server. It could be catastrophic to add a "rogue" DHCP service to your production network.

Board footer