You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2015-07-23 16:40:16

Foggy

Repository on any other volume than system not working

DS 1.6.15
OSX 10.7.5 server

I have set up a two drive RAID 0 on my deployment server to use as a repository but no matter what I do it will not mount.
On the system drive it is very easy to set up and the repository is working fine but on any other volume...

I set the shares and permissions with server.app like /volumes/images/

I have created new netboot sets

I re-do the server setup etc etc etc

No dice.

is there any special trick to getting a repository working on another volume other than the system drive?

A netboot hangs at
23 plugins were successfully loaded!
the user 'dsadmin' was successfully authenticated.

then nothing except a beachball

could somebody explicitly tell me what the permissions on the share should be when on a different volume to the system?

#2 2015-07-24 08:16:05

mjsanders
Website

Re: Repository on any other volume than system not working

A common mistake is that you should specify the repository as an afp sharepoint, even when you run the setup assistant locally on the server.
That is the (url) that the netbooted client is using to access your repository.

so if you have a local folder /Volumes/ExternalRaid/DeployRepo as a sharepoint (do so in Server.app)

the repository address you have to use will be afp://yourservername.local/DeployRepo (safest bet, using bonjour)
if you have dns: afp://yourservername.yourdomain.com/DeployRepo
if you have dns problems use ip address like: afp://10.9.8.7/DeployRepo

Check in the preference pane for DeployStudio what the server has configured.
-the repository should be an url
-the Status indicator should be green

If this is wrong, re-run the setup assistant.

Last edited by mjsanders (2015-07-24 08:16:32)

#3 2015-07-24 10:42:43

Foggy

Thanks mjsanders,
I have already tried all those things and still no matter what I do it will not mount on anything other than the system drive. Our DNS works forward and reverse. Putting in i.p instead of FQDN makes no difference.
I set up the share (AFP) check the permissions, re-build the .nbi, re do the server settings as network share etc.
The preference pane shows as green with status Ready. I have done the setup assistant many times i.p or server name

I am resorting to cloning the system onto the raid. I will rebind and try that way.

#4 2015-07-24 13:52:02

mjsanders
Website

Hmm seems you tried most things.

-Can you connect from a stand alone mac in the same network using the same url and passwords as you entered during the creation of the nbi?
-I see you mention /Volumes/Images. You are not sharing the whole volume of the RAID? It is best practice to create a folder on the RAID volume, and share that folder. (otherwise hidden files, which are always on the root of each volume will be shared too, which may give unexpected results)
-are you using http or https for the server (top in preference pane)? check the certificate, or use http.

To help you troubleshooting: your orignal post states that the log says 'dsadmin' succesfull authenticated.
The next step is normally that the runtime asks the server for the repository, and tries to mount that.
So either the server does not give the repo's url, or the mount fails.....
(if the mount fails, you will see that in the log of the runtime)

#5 2015-07-29 10:14:21

Foggy

I actually gave up and cloned the system onto the RAID and did some tests. At first all tests failed at all speeds. So I tried a different image and could get
10MBs multicast with the same setup. So I switched back to the 107GB image and that suddenly decided to also work. Maybe just needed refreshing after the version upgrade?

10MBs Success! Estimated time came up as 2.5 hours no dropped data. Really don't know why I can't use a different volume to the system though.
We have 1GB from the server and to the client. The same image finishes in about 25 minutes as a unicast.

Board footer