You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2013-06-22 21:05:49

PaintedTurtle

NetBoot Set Enhancements, Proposed

NetBoot Set Enhancements

Please, following are some enhancements that we would like to propose to the NetBoot Set portions of Deploy Studio.

1. <<--- Now Part of Build 1.6.1 --->>Allow creation of a NetBoot Set from an image.dmg. Currently, DeployStudio Assistant gets the needed resources from the booted OS. There are times when it would be nice to be able to specify some other source for the needed NetBoot Set OS resources. (Don't care if we have to mount it ourselves.)

This would be particularly helpful when one needs to create more than one Netboot set, either to support new machines needing a special OS, or for older machines, that won't run Mountain Lion (or 10.9 Mavericks), or even for testing beta software.

And it would be handy to be able to do that on the DS server, using an OS image, instead of having to "borrow" a needed machine for just that purpose. (One good source of those OS images, might be the Master Image files that we have created.;-)

2. Allow the creation of NetBoot Sets to be scriptable. That is allow us to do it from a BASH or other shell script. That way when we update the version of Deploy Studio Server, we can easily recreate all of our NetBoot sets. (assumes feature #1)

3. Allow us to create NetBoot Sets for older OSes. When it comes time to get rid of those old Macs, Deploy Studio can be a handy tool for securely erasing their hard drives and putting a clean factory OS on them before donating them to some charity.

But, a lot of times, the machines that one gets rid of are a bit older. So we do need to be able to create NetBoot Sets that they can boot from. It doesn't matter that the Deploy Studio Server requires a newer machine, that is OK. The key is that we be able to create a NetBoot set that the old machine can boot from. Because then we can easily prepare it for "final" deployment.

Last edited by PaintedTurtle (2013-06-30 23:42:26)

#2 2013-06-24 20:25:38

anonymousMonk

Re: NetBoot Set Enhancements, Proposed

I agree that creating a netboot set from an image would be very useful. Usually the users who are requesting the latest, greatest rev 1,1 stuff aren't too happy to wait for us to find time to make a new netboot set. :-) It would definitely decrease the amount of time performing maintenance on DS. Also, my org donates their Macs after they've erased computers that have reached end-of-life, so creating NB sets for 5 year old machines is still relevant in our environment.

#3 2013-06-30 23:41:00

PaintedTurtle

Wow!!! Thank you very much! Version 1.6.1 seems to have just what we were asking for in enhancement #1. This should make creating DS NetBoot sets a whole lot easier.

It will be particularly handy, with all those "special" builds that new machines seem to come with. And when the next major OS upgrade comes out, it will be a real blessing there too.

Again, our thanks and appreciation to the development team.

Last edited by PaintedTurtle (2013-06-30 23:45:44)

#4 2013-07-01 07:42:08

admin
Administrator
Website

We've tested the new feature using mounted disk images (system + recovery).
No need to restore them before creating your netboot sets.

#5 2013-08-23 15:20:42

admin
Administrator
Website

(2.) you can call the bash script /Applications/Utilities/DeployStudio\ Assistant.app/Contents/Resources/sysBuilder/sys_builder.sh with the appropriate args.

#6 2013-08-28 05:23:55

PaintedTurtle

Thanks!!!

This is great news. And will be a real time saver for upgrades. And it will make the process more repeatable. Currently, we take screen shots, and follow those each time.

I hate to be greedy considering everything else that you have done. But might there be any hope that we may be able to make netboot sets with older OSes?

Last edited by PaintedTurtle (2013-08-28 05:30:48)

#7 2014-03-24 23:53:52

PaintedTurtle

I posted a crude example of how one might use this new capability to script the creation of NetBoot sets at http://www.deploystudio.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?id=5692

There is what we initially thought was an error message. However, the GUI produces a similar message, so we now believe it is normal and nothing to worry about. This really should make the process more repeatable, and it is now quite a bit quicker to script all of the NetBoot sets that we need.

Hope it is helpful to someone.

p.s. I hate to be greedy considering everything else that you have done. But might there be any hope that we may be able to make netboot sets based on older OSes? Running the server on 10.9 is fine. But we have applications (decommissioning old machines, etc.), where we would like to be able to boot from a DS netboot set, remove firmware passwords, erase the drive, etc.

#8 2014-06-30 19:07:14

PaintedTurtle

A newer netboot script is at:
http://www.deploystudio.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?id=5945

Another version by MagerValp is at:
http://magervalp.github.io/2014/05/27/autodsnbi.html

The MagerValp version has some very nice enhancements and does some checking for situations that will break my script in less than graceful ways.

Also, a WARNING. You may want to limit your use of this to NetBoot Sets uses OSes of the same major version as the currently booted OS. We are currently seeing some issues when creating a NetBoot Set from a different OS, than what is booted. For example, if I create a 10.7 NBS when booted from Lion, it boots fine and I get the Apple Startup Disk pref pane. If I create it booted from 10.8, it still boots fine, but I get the old Deploy Studio startup disk pref pane. And if I create it booted from Mavericks, it doesn't boot, just hangs on a white screen.

For more info, see the bug report filed at:
http://www.deploystudio.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?pid=24234#p24234

Last edited by PaintedTurtle (2014-06-30 19:27:25)

Board footer