You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2014-03-26 15:38:22

nanda_justgames

My Suggestions

Here it goes:

* Add task to install printers
* Add task to enable Apple's Firewall
* Add task to enable Encryption with File Vault 2 (and possibly send the key or store the key somewhere for future reference like a txt or in the log)
* Add task to set background image
* Add task to disable/enable gatekeeper
* Inside the file copy task: instead copying one file per task you could just point a folder (similar to what is done in packages) and it would copy all files inside that folder.
* Create some sort of ALERT feature but where you can display messages to users and receive input from users. To allow users to give input I am using Cocoadialog app and putting into a script.
* Create log not only in RunTime but also after first boot
* Kill the confirmation box asking to save or revert every time you only read a workflow
* Create a way to generate Master DMGs better. Today you have to generate a DMG from a fresh OS with some other tool (or even doing manually) and then upload. Maybe a feature could exist where you point the Apple packages and installers and it would create a DMG for you. Check (software) Auto DMG as reference.

Best,

#2 2014-03-27 15:22:44

n8felton

Re: My Suggestions

Are you looking for something like the log at /var/log/ds_finalize.log?

* Kill the confirmation box asking to save or revert every time you only read a workflow

I personally would like this alert box to HAVE the Save or Revert buttons, rather than acknowledging the alert, then using the buttons on the bottom of the interface.

A lot of the task requests should hopefully be resolved once the plugin SDK is released, which is rumored to be released with the stable version of 1.6.4.

#3 2014-04-03 04:49:25

ICAImager

While I am all for more user-friendly features, you can already accomplish these things using scripts.

* Add task to install printers

Depending on your environment there are much better ways to do this like with Munki, Managed Preferences, Profile Manager, Use DS to enroll into MDM and set info there, etc.  If you do want to do it via DS look at the lpadmin command.

* Add task to enable Apple's Firewall

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf globalstate -int 1

* Add task to enable Encryption with File Vault 2 (and possibly send the key or store the key somewhere for future reference like a txt or in the log)

Take a look at: http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/managing-mavericks-filevault-2-with-fdesetup/

* Add task to set background image

Store the wallpapers and desktoppicture.db (assuming 10.9) in files.  Then as part of your scripts:
cp -R /Volumes/DeployStudioRuntime/tmp/DSNetworkRepository/Files/plists/Library/Application\ Support/ /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/User\ Template/English.lproj/Library/Application\ Support/
cp -R /Volumes/DeployStudioRuntime/tmp/DSNetworkRepository/Files/Wallpapers/ /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/Shared/Wallpapers
chmod -R 777 /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/Shared/Wallpapers

* Add task to disable/enable gatekeeper

spctl --master-enable
spctl --master-disable

* Inside the file copy task: instead copying one file per task you could just point a folder (similar to what is done in packages) and it would copy all files inside that folder.

You can use the script command for this and do recursive copies.

* Create some sort of ALERT feature but where you can display messages to users and receive input from users. To allow users to give input I am using Cocoadialog app and putting into a script.

Depending on when you want this to run, you could setup a firstboot launchdaemon (Check out user Mavericks' great example: http://deploystudio.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?pid=22515#p22515) that prompts user for input.  For example:

#!/bin/sh

# localadmin.sh
# Add User into local admin

echo "Please enter a username: "
read username
dseditgroup -o edit -n /Local/Default -u itadmin -P  -a $username -t user admin

exit 0

As mentioned by n8felton, the logs are kept around.

This does not happen to me at least.

* Create a way to generate Master DMGs better. Today you have to generate a DMG from a fresh OS with some other tool (or even doing manually) and then upload. Maybe a feature could exist where you point the Apple packages and installers and it would create a DMG for you. Check (software) Auto DMG as reference.

AutoDMG is already doing a great job here, why use dev time trying to recreate what it already does?  You can already take the AutoDMG (I currently slipstream in updates and Office 2011+SP3) image and use DeployStudio to install additional PKGs if you do not have a Munki/Casper/etc. package manager.

#4 2014-04-08 20:23:52

hackztor

Some people still prefer  to keep it simple and do not use management programs (it is simple in the short run, harder in the long run). You just have to use scripts to do all the tasks you want, I do agree would be nice though if a physical button for printers existed.

#5 2014-04-25 06:40:00

admin
Administrator
Website

Added to 1.6.4:
- configuration task: enabling Firewall and disabling gatekeeper,
- source code example for custom plugins.

Board footer