You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2013-06-27 04:55:49

hackztor

Netboot requirement of Recovery partition is getting ridiculous

Not only does it affect xserves that use raid on the main partition, but it is now affecting creating netboots with latest drivers.  It used to be you put a combo update on a machine say 10.8.4 and it would have the latest drivers up to that point for all the machines. Now though, when you do a combo update the recovery partition does not update so you still are stuck with whatever that recovery partition is. Now we have early 2013 imac that come with 10.8.3 with a different build than regular 10.8.3. So we install 10.8.4 and make a net boot but still only comes with 10.8.3 because of the recovery partition. This netboot should work for all the machines till, but this requires us to build on the latest machine instead of just updating our deploy studio servers with a combo and making a net boot. The old way deploy studio worked just seemed a lot better and easier.

#2 2013-06-27 11:27:40

admin
Administrator
Website

Re: Netboot requirement of Recovery partition is getting ridiculous

We have a problem with OpenGL and OpenCL frameworks.
Replacing them with the recovery partition ones fixes the issue.
Obviously we'll get rid of this requirement as we find a better workaround.

#3 2013-06-27 19:55:40

PaintedTurtle

In the meantime, here some potential work-around that I hope might work. They won't remove the problem, but they may help lesson the pain--

There are two recovery options. One is the local hidden partition, and you can get to that by holding down Command-R on boot.

The other, is the "Internet Recovery," which is essentially a netboot from one of Apple's servers. (or an Akamai Technologies clone). Normally, it will only boot from the Internet Recovery, if there is no local recovery partition present. I don't see where Apple has documented this on a kbase technote, but I think the way to force it to try and boot from the Internet Recovery is by holding down Command-Option-R at boot.

The advantage of the Internet Recovery is that it will allow you to use disk utility to create new partitions and then you can re-install the OS and it will create a new local recovery partition, that may be more up to date than what was there. One bad news item, is that the OS downloads from the Internet Recovery Partition typically lag what is available via the App Store. So, you may have to wait a few extra weeks.

Another option is to make a NetInstall image or a USB Thumb Drive Installer. Once booted from either of these, you can repartition the drive to get rid of the old recovery partition, then do a new install to get an updated one. (If you want to go the USB thumb drive installer, it isn't necessary, but Lion Disk Maker can be handy.)

Another option might be to use InstaDMG to create a new image. I thought that I saw somewhere that InstaDMG did create a Recovery Partition. But I don't know if it is easy to convert an InstaDMG Recovery Partition to a Deploy Studio one.

Carbon Copy Cloner has the ability to move and clone Recovery Partitions. But the last time that I played with it, it wasn't real good about allowing you to select which one you wanted to use as the source. But that may now be enhanced.

Lastly, one might try making a master from something that has the very latest recovery partition. If you look at your masters inside of the DS repository, you should see two image files, one for the main partition and one for the recovery partition. Make copies (or hard links) of this newest recovery partition file, with the names corresponding to the names of the older ones and replacing the older ones. Now when DS restores an image, it will push out this newer recovery partition.

#4 2013-06-27 20:29:12

hackztor

I found a workaround by downloading the install mac os x.app from appstore that will come with the latest version 10.8.4 in this case. Reinstalled the os through this and it updates the recovery partition to 10.8.4 and then the netboots worked. Obviously this takes about an hour anytime their is a new os x build which sucks, but least its workable.

#5 2013-06-27 21:34:32

Meat

I can live with that. I don't make so many netboot sets that it would be out of the question. Start it, come back later, start making the netboot set, come back later... ;)

Thanks for the info hackztor! :)

#6 2013-07-11 23:23:49

Ginja

An alternative way of updating the Recovery partition, without re-installing the base OS, is to follow the instructions in Greg Neagle's "Creating Recovery Partitions" blog post, which is based on Allen Golbig's AFP548 article. I've tested this method and it works. I have also just found out that MagerValp has created an application based on Greg's and Allen's effort that automates the creation of the recovery installer package. URLs below:

MagerValp's application:
https://github.com/MagerValp/Create-Recovery-Partition-Installer/

Greg's article:
http://managingosx.wordpress.com/2012/08/15/creating-recovery-partitions/

Original AFP548 article:
http://www.afp548.com/2012/08/15/creating-a-10-8-recovery-hd-package-with-luggage/

#7 2013-07-19 02:20:26

hackztor

I used a recovery creator before, but DeployStudio didnt like it and still wouldnt work from it. Either way it still sucks because if you have a server that is raided, no recovery partitions possible. You would have to put an external drive on it.

#8 2013-07-19 08:20:59

Joon

> hackztor wrote:

> I used a recovery creator before, but DeployStudio didnt like it and still wouldnt work from it. Either way it still sucks because if you have a server that is raided, no recovery partitions possible. You would have to put an external drive on it.
http://musings.silvertooth.us/2013/05/recovery-partition-creator-3-0/
this way worked for me, delpoystudio found it and used it without issue :)

#9 2013-11-11 02:36:02

monika1990

Glad to know about it,thanks for sharing with us,if you have time ,welcome to my website to know more about me http://www.rs3pal.com/

Board footer