You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2011-10-24 15:13:23

milesm

Backup users before imaging, restore afterwards

It would be great if DS could backup existing user accounts before re-imaging and then restore when finished. I have been using the Backup/Restore scripts here [url]https://github.com/rustymyers/BackupRestore[/url] but it would be great if this function was integrated directly into DS.

Just a few useful things you could do:

1) System upgrades - backup user accounts, re-image with all updates, restore user accounts
2) Temporary machines - backup user accounts, restore to another machine while first machine is in service
3) Migrate user to new machine - backup, restore to new machine

Miles

#2 2011-11-09 06:39:09

PaintedTurtle

Re: Backup users before imaging, restore afterwards

As annother option, you might look at network home folders using mobile accounts with syncing. 

Once setup, a copy of the home folder is synced back to the server. You can then login from another machine (or the same machine reimaged) and it will sync to that machine.

They don't work perfectly, particularly with with large home folders. (And we saw some issues with large iPhoto and iTunes libraries.)  But it might be worth a check to see if the pain is worth the gain.

#3 2011-11-17 17:12:19

snk

I've accomplished this by placing the /Users folder on a separate partition. So, I'd create a /Volumes/HomeDirectories, and then symlink that to /Users when I am creating my image. This allows me to wipe the OS install without touching the home directories.

#4 2012-04-02 19:46:12

mrhollywoodgates

Sorry to open up an old post, but I thought it was relevant.  I've also started using Rusty's scripts, which have been great, and I was wondering if anyone has used them to backup one client and restore to another machine.  They work based on MAC address, so maybe there's a way to insert the new computer's MAC address? Just looking to see what other people have tried in this regard.

#5 2012-04-02 21:31:07

milesm

Yup, that's part of the script. There is a switch that you have to activate in DS:

-q Unique Identifier.
            Enter the MAC address of the backup you want to restore.
            For example, if you backup a computer and its MAC address
            was: 000000000001. You can then specify that MAC as the
            variable to restore to a different computer.

So I have a first workflow that runs the backup, then in the second workflow, I specify the switch with the mac address of the original computer ex.: "-q 00ff00ff00ff"

Make sure you have the latest version of the scripts from GitHub: [url]https://github.com/rustymyers/BackupRestore[/url]

Miles

#6 2012-04-02 22:26:33

mrhollywoodgates

Perfect! Thanks! I do have the latest version of the script, and I've already used it with success with Lion.

#7 2012-04-04 17:33:17

mrhollywoodgates

Do I set this in the "parameters" section of the Generic task workflow for restoring? And I don't need to define anything in the backup script workflow?

Such as: -q 00adbcadbt00
to define the new target MAC address in the Parameters text box. 

When I tried that, the restore failed.  Is there a way to prompt the user during the workflow for the new target MAC accress instead of having to define it in the repository through DS Admin?

Thanks!

#8 2013-08-12 17:17:50

Stryker412

So if I create a master from a volume, that is not backing it up?

I want to make an image of our administrator's macbook before I do a full install of Mt. Lion. I'm making a backup "just in case" I am missing something when they return. What process should I be using?

I essentially want to use DS as I would Norton Ghost on a PC.

Last edited by Stryker412 (2013-08-12 17:23:10)

Board footer