You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#26 2013-01-18 21:05:14

Meat

Re: Any known issues with Fusion drive?

Log message:
"Please try to free less space."

eh, that would seem to be,.. uh,.. counter-productive? I'm just sayin'.

#27 2013-01-19 07:25:20

lupus
Website

Fine,And If I click 'Fix' I can run deploystudio workflow to restore an image to a volume.
It generates some errors ('iostat: could not record 'disks2' for monitoring)

#28 2013-01-21 05:52:06

tijones

Has anyone got a dual boot workflow working yet?

We have 400 of these coming in OSX seems to deploy Ok less the Recovery out of the box however I'm back to the good old Windows, No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key. and does not show up on EFI loader.

#29 2013-01-23 03:58:30

bcarter5876

OP here.  Glad to see people are still interested/working on this.  I had to take the lame way out and imaged/deployed directly from the version of Disk Utility that came with the fusion drives.  I know that leaves out a lot of stuff that DeployStudio does, but I replicated most of the cleanup at least in scripts.  Hopefully this will eventually be taken care of.  I have not had to try to do any of our dual boot labs yet as they currently have older equipment.

#30 2013-01-23 21:12:06

mjsanders
Website

I have not tried dual boot deployment, but the Apple Doc's mention specifically to use the Bootcamp Utiltiy shipped with the FusionDrive equipped mac's.
I guess that Bootcamp Utility will run something like this command :

diskutil cs resizeStack LvUUID VolSize-100G ms-dos BOOTCAMP 100G

and after that the usual tools should be able to deploy Windows images. (or install them manually)

Maybe you can try the oldfashioned trick to deploy a Mac image, which contains a script to deploy a windows image using winclone, since this may be using scripted Bootcamp Assistant (automator workflow, or applescript??)

see http://twocanoes.com/support/winclone/using-deploystudio-and-winclone-pro-to-image-a-lab-of-dual-boot-macs
and on the forum the author claims it works!: http://twocanoes.com/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/191

obviously I have not tried this myself.
Personally I would try to script the resizeStack command, and I hope the restore process of windows will work in a workflow.

Out of curiousity: what is the output of diskutil list show you after your (failed) deployment where windows does not boot?
(I try to guess what is going wrong)

Last edited by mjsanders (2013-01-23 21:12:53)

#31 2013-01-23 22:16:41

mjsanders
Website

I just found an interesting blog post that explains how to manually format a fusion drive for bootcamp from scratch.
http://dice.neko-san.net/2012/12/how-to-install-boot-camp-on-a-3tb-fusion-drive-mac/

smart scripters should be able to use the steps in this blog to make a script that (re-)creates the right volumes, and than a 'normal' workflow should be able to deploy the rest.

who takes the challenge to try this??

edit:

Maybe it may even be simpler, the commands needed to create a bootcamp partition of 100 GB are just these:

diskutil partitionDisk disk1 2 GPTFormat fat32 BOOTCAMP 100G jhfs+ coreStorage R
diskutil cs create FusionDisk disk0 disk1s3 
diskutil cs createVolume LVGUUID jhfs+ "Macintosh HD" 100%

than use a common dual boot workflow

Someone has to try this, the swapping of C and D as written in the blog may not be needed, or maybe I am mistaken that this will not produce a good (emulated)MBR...

Last edited by mjsanders (2013-02-04 12:05:55)

#32 2013-01-24 02:01:49

tijones

Ok Update this one is better for the 1tb fusions

#!/bin/sh

VolumeGroup=`diskutil coreStorage list | grep Logical\ Volume\ Group | sed -e "s/^.* //"`
echo $VolumeGroup

diskutil coreStorage delete $VolumeGroup

sleep 2

diskutil coreStorage create Fusion disk0 disk1

sleep 2

VolumeGroupNew=`diskutil coreStorage list | grep Logical\ Volume\ Group | sed -e "s/^.* //"`
echo $VolumeGroupNew

sleep 2

diskutil coreStorage createVolume $VolumeGroupNew jhfs+ OSX 1100G

sleep 4

VolumeShrink=`diskutil cs list | grep Logical\ Volume | tail -1 |sed -e "s/^.* //" `

diskutil cs resizeStack $VolumeShrink 600g ms-dos WINDOWS 500G

exit 0

Last edited by tijones (2013-02-18 03:29:28)

#33 2013-02-18 03:30:44

tijones

Updated the script above to take care of an issue I had with Windows showing as a 1tb volume when it was only formatted as a 500gb something weird was going on

#34 2013-03-06 22:54:40

SamT

I tried adding tjones script above to the start of my dual boot workflow. Then a deploy Image task for OSX and a deploy Image task with windows. OSX boots fine, but windows gives me a No bootable Device error. Anyone else run into this issue?

#35 2013-03-11 20:14:10

tijones

What sort of Windows image do you have, I use self extracting Winclones, I had the above issue with ntfs.dmg (though might not be an issue now with the ablity to update the generic BCD using DS have you tried this tick box), Did windows deploy fine? How have you got your workflow configured, Reimage Windows 1st to WINDOWS volume (hardcoded) with no rename of volume, and OSX second to OSX volume we have rolled over 200 of these fusion drives. I would have put a % in as the disk size above but for some reason DS wont support % in the script (works fine in terminal), We have also now got some labs with Windows on the SSD and OSX on the normal drive for faster Windows performance for the students which also works quite well.

#36 2013-03-14 15:27:13

jimkirk

I just got bit by this sort of thing yesterday with a 1TB Fusion drive in an iMac.  Thanks for the info!

#37 2013-03-14 19:47:42

SamT

I'm using the ntfs.dmg that's built into deploystudio not winclone. Just updated to the newest release to have the BCD checkbox option and that didn't seem to help. The image appears to be deploying fine as there are no errors. I'm currently imageing OSX first, then Windows. I'll try it the other way around to see if that helps. Thanks

#38 2013-03-28 21:31:35

SamT

I was not able to get this to work with the ntfs image using the script. The only way I could get it to work was to go through bootcamp utility, install windows, then drop the image over it. It seems the issue wasn't with the partitioning as it was some boot issue that wasn't setup with the ntfs image. I ended up buying winclone and capturing the image that way. Using the script from tijones with the winlcone image worked perfect. Thank you for the script and other info.

#39 2013-03-29 17:23:47

costasppc

Hello,

We had yesterday to deploy some iMacs with Fusion drive. What we noticed is that the Recovery HD was not visible during startup when holding Alt, but the machine could start to Recovery HD with Cmd+R at startup.

Kostas

Board footer