You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2017-12-06 16:24:47

Peteo

New iMac Pro is the End of Mac Imaging! (Redux)

Little birdie has let it be known that the new iMac Pro will not be able to be imaged, current work around's will not work and they seemed pretty confident that there will be no workaround for this model.
Plan accordingly

#2 2017-12-06 21:54:11

sseaton1971

Re: New iMac Pro is the End of Mac Imaging! (Redux)

How do you know this? In other words... who is the "little birdie?"

> Peteo wrote:

> Little birdie has let it be known that the new iMac Pro will not be able to be imaged, current work around's will not work and they seemed pretty confident that there will be no workaround for this model.
Plan accordingly

#3 2017-12-07 21:06:07

jimkirk

Are they going to rewrite the asr man pages then?

#4 2017-12-12 23:14:49

Peteo

iMac Pro debuts custom Apple T2 chip to handle secure boot, password encryption, more!

"This new chip means storage encryption keys pass from the secure enclave to the hardware encryption engine in-chip — your key never leaves the chip," he wrote on Twitter. "And, they it allows for hardware verification of OS, kernel, boot loader, firmware, etc. (This can be disabled)"

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/12/12/imac-pro-debuts-custom-apple-t2-chip-to-handle-secure-boot-password-encryption-more

It's been a fun ride! Now off to MDM land!

Last edited by Peteo (2017-12-12 23:15:46)

#5 2017-12-13 02:04:23

Trikster

Seems that Apple has forgotten that there are lab computers that need custom configs in the User Template...  Can't really do that kind of stuff with Jamf.  Why does Apple not like imaging?

#6 2017-12-13 06:15:42

jimkirk

Looks like there may already a workaround provided by Apple ... see screenshot in article ...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/12/12/imac-pro-debuts-custom-apple-t2-chip-to-handle-secure-boot-password-encryption-more

Configure as needed for a computer lab or other situation I would fathom.  Granted, I imagine only a limited few will be purchasing $5000 iMacs anytime soon.

#7 2017-12-13 21:50:04

mjsanders
Website

We have to see it in action yet, but I guess that if you set boot security to the lowest levels imaging will still be possible, although not recommended by Apple.
In the factory they do some imaging I think?

#8 2017-12-18 18:21:01

Peteo

New iMac Pro's have a DFU mode (like iOS)! apples going all in!

PREPARE DEVICES: Restore iMac Pro
https://help.apple.com/configurator/mac/2.6/index.html?localePath=en.lproj#/apdebea5be51

Last edited by Peteo (2017-12-18 18:22:27)

#9 2018-01-10 01:33:30

Kabrutus

WOW.  Has anyone been able to netboot an iMac Pro?  or reImage one?

Last edited by Kabrutus (2018-01-10 01:33:41)

#10 2018-01-16 23:24:36

NickB

If I could make a DeployStudio bootable volume on an APFS drive, I think, emphasis on think, I could load/reload the iMac Pro using DeployStudio.  Unfortunately right now you can't install it on APFS.

#11 2018-02-02 16:13:45

cashxx

> Trikster wrote:

> Seems that Apple has forgotten that there are lab computers that need custom configs in the User Template...  Can't really do that kind of stuff with Jamf.  Why does Apple not like imaging?

Because they are slowly moving macOS and iOS together is what I think is happening!  It started with SIP and now T2 and before you know it you will only have an app store to download apps for OS X only and other limitations that come with iOS!  I'm expecting Windows to become a subscription based OS here at some point as well.

Very sad times and I swore that Windows would go bye bye if they do a subscription and macOS may be right behind it if what I think is going to happen comes to light!

#12 2018-02-02 17:52:58

Peteo

> NickB wrote:

> If I could make a DeployStudio bootable volume on an APFS drive, I think, emphasis on think, I could load/reload the iMac Pro using DeployStudio.  Unfortunately right now you can't install it on APFS.

10.13.3 should have the drivers for the iMac Pro. So all you need to do is get another mac, wipe and install 10.13.3 (from the macOS installer) use AutoDMG to create an OS dmg in HFS+ and then create another one in APFS format. 
Now you have an HFS+ & APFS image you can use to deploy on almost any mac.  Also when you create your DS boot disk make sure you create it on a 10.13.3 system that is from as HFS+.

This is assuming that turning off secure boot with the Startup Security Utility will let you boot of a custom image. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208330

you will also have to allow External Boot

Last edited by Peteo (2018-02-02 18:03:48)

#13 2018-02-27 02:30:15

nider

The 10.13.3 update for iMac Pro is separate from the normal 10.13.3 update. I don't think this will work.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1952 – macOS 10.13.3 Update for iMac Pro
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1954 – macOS 10.13.3 Update

#14 2018-02-28 01:42:46

Meat

I was able to boot from a DeployStudio USB drive and run a configuration workflow (with some issues afterward, but...).
I haven't tried the steps necessary to presumably/actually netboot one though.

Last edited by Meat (2018-02-28 01:43:16)

#15 2018-03-05 16:58:31

joopjuh

An iMac Pro will not NetBoot as it will not accept it or appear when you boot with alt.
You can select it as a startup disk but that will not work.
What works is an external drive created with the deploystudio assistant.
This will boot the device (when you allow it to. Lower security in the recovery mode) and start up deploystudio connecting to your servers.
Next step is to find out what the best way is to deploy an image on the device.
I've been able to deploy AFPS images onto other machines however this device is different and comes with extra's which will need to be investigated before i deploy anything.

#16 2018-03-06 23:51:58

Trikster

> joopjuh wrote:

> An iMac Pro will not NetBoot as it will not accept it or appear when you boot with alt.
This will boot the device (when you allow it to. Lower security in the recovery mode) and start up deploystudio connecting to your servers.
I've been able to deploy AFPS images onto other machines however this device is different and comes with extra's which will need to be investigated before i deploy anything.

Look forward to your findings.

#17 2018-05-12 21:58:38

sfrankiel

> joopjuh wrote:

> An iMac Pro will not NetBoot as it will not accept it or appear when you boot with alt.

Have you had any luck deploying an image to the iMacPro's yet Joophuh

#18 2018-05-18 01:06:21

jimg

Hi all,

We recently got a few iMac Pros at our College, and I was tasked with seeing if I could get Faronics Deep Freeze to work on them.
Well, since DF doesn't like APFS, I experimented with reformatting an iMac Pro with HFS.
It can be done, if you Create a NetInstall USB (which is created without APFS).

From there, I could boot the USB key, which pointed to my NetInstall DS server.
I had access to the Disk Utility and was able to wipe it as an HFS drive (doing a deleteContainer on the APFS via diskutil in Terminal first.)
And I was able to install a 10.13.4 image that would also work on earlier Mac models (iMacs and Mac Pros).

I also got WinClone to work with .pkg installation of our Win image, but since the drive is NVMe, Deep Freeze on Windows will not work (as per their tech notes.)  Almost got a system to behave like all our others:  dual boot, both sides frozen.

Note the only reason I am doing this is to get Deep Freeze to work.
Eventually we will go to JAMF, but still don't know what will replace DF.

#19 2018-05-23 00:21:11

Trikster

> jimg wrote:

> Eventually we will go to JAMF, but still don't know what will replace DF.

I just run a script that deletes all the user folders (except the admin one) on the computers upon restart. JAMF is used to lock up System Preferences. The rest of the preferences are set so students "at best" only have read access to files.  No DF here anymore.

#20 2018-06-06 22:00:03

hackztor

> Trikster wrote:

> > jimg wrote:

I just run a script that deletes all the user folders (except the admin one) on the computers upon restart. JAMF is used to lock up System Preferences. The rest of the preferences are set so students "at best" only have read access to files.  No DF here anymore.

Same we do script for remove profiles when the machine is shutdown/restarted. User rights for users keeps most system preferences away. Some preferences we always want users to be able to change like resolution and volume so use logon scripts to set those to a standard and then the user can change during the session all they want.

#21 2018-06-07 11:23:03

oleksiak

There are APFS snapshots too, but I don't know if they can be fully automated for such scenario.

#22 2018-06-08 11:40:36

joopjuh

I've been pretty busy lately with the iMac Pro and re-imaging. I have a working process on re-imaging the iMac Pro which currently requires another iMac Pro and Target Disk mode.
I'm now in the process of moving this into a script which DeployStudio should be able to handle.
Currently i can wipe and deploy but getting stuck on the APFS Inverter errors.
When i'm able to get past this error is should work!
Any tips on APFS Inverter errors? Currently it's executing but giving an error message which doesn't really tell me anything.

#23 2018-06-11 17:03:54

Peteo

> joopjuh wrote:

> I've been pretty busy lately with the iMac Pro and re-imaging. I have a working process on re-imaging the iMac Pro which currently requires another iMac Pro and Target Disk mode.
I'm now in the process of moving this into a script which DeployStudio should be able to handle.
Currently i can wipe and deploy but getting stuck on the APFS Inverter errors.
When i'm able to get past this error is should work!
Any tips on APFS Inverter errors? Currently it's executing but giving an error message which doesn't really tell me anything.

Have you tried with 10.13.5? supposed to fix some APFS issues.

#24 2018-06-14 13:29:27

joopjuh

Whoehoe!. I can finally deploy images on the iMac Pro.
The USB Netboot from DeployStudio does not come with a user so by default your root.
The inverter command doesn't like root but loves sudo.
So installed High Sierra on an external drive and installed the DeployStudio tools on top.
Now I'm able to run my simple scripts fully automated in DeployStudio Runtime, even including a Software Update in the end!!

#25 2018-06-20 17:02:51

Trikster

> joopjuh wrote:

> Whoehoe!. I can finally deploy images on the iMac Pro.
The USB Netboot from DeployStudio does not come with a user so by default your root.
The inverter command doesn't like root but loves sudo.
So installed High Sierra on an external drive and installed the DeployStudio tools on top.
Now I'm able to run my simple scripts fully automated in DeployStudio Runtime, even including a Software Update in the end!!

Would love more information on how you have done this.

Board footer