You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2017-11-10 14:05:38

hqonline

Repository access error

Hi

I'm running macOS server 5.4 on 10.13.1 and DS 1.7.8.

I've checked permissions everywere but when I boot a mac on netboot I get this message: "Repository access error
An error occured while mounting the repository!
I can click continue, but when I try to start a workflow i fails with the message that there is no more space in the repository.

Any tips ?

regards,
hq

Last edited by hqonline (2017-11-10 14:29:23)

#2 2017-11-13 18:08:00

Meat

Re: Repository access error

Typically, this is a configuration error where the admin sets up a "local" path (/repository/path/folder) instead of a network path (afp://server/sharename).
Check your DeployStudio server config by walking back through the DeployStudio Assistant.app on the server.

#3 2017-11-13 18:12:38

Trikster

Wish I had better news for you here...  I have the same issue on multiple machines running the same server, OS, and DS versions.  I can easily remote into the server with AFP and SMB, using the credentials that DS uses.  Repository on DS...no luck.

Here is my post regarding the issue: http://www.deploystudio.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?id=7978

Have yet to figure out a solution. I have recently got my hands on a 2017 model iMac with Sierra on it.  I am going to put HS on it along with DS to see if its the relative age of the computers I usually use that is causing the issue.

#4 2017-11-14 08:21:37

hqonline

> Meat wrote:

> Typically, this is a configuration error where the admin sets up a "local" path (/repository/path/folder) instead of a network path (afp://server/sharename).
Check your DeployStudio server config by walking back through the DeployStudio Assistant.app on the server.

Hi

I've checked the network path many times, also changed the folders, and checked permissions + propagated permissions, just to be sure.
But still no luck. But in macOS server 5.4 the file share service is gone, I don't know if this is a problem.

But in my head I think this is a rights-issue. I won't get access to the repository because of a missing rights somewhere..

Thanks for answering.

Regards,
hq

#5 2017-11-14 08:23:39

hqonline

> Trikster wrote:

> Wish I had better news for you here...  I have the same issue on multiple machines running the same server, OS, and DS versions.  I can easily remote into the server with AFP and SMB, using the credentials that DS uses.  Repository on DS...no luck.

Here is my post regarding the issue: http://www.deploystudio.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?id=7978

Have yet to figure out a solution. I have recently got my hands on a 2017 model iMac with Sierra on it.  I am going to put HS on it along with DS to see if its the relative age of the computers I usually use that is causing the issue.

Hi

Iv'e re-installed my server with 10.12 now and running 5.3.1. In 5.4 file share service is missing but in 5.3 it's there. Hopefully this will work again.

Thanks for answering.

Regards,
hq

#6 2017-12-13 18:27:20

Trikster

> hqonline wrote:

> > Trikster wrote:

> Wish I had better news for you here...  I have the same issue on multiple machines running the same server, OS, and DS versions.  I can easily remote into the server with AFP and SMB, using the credentials that DS uses.  Repository on DS...no luck.

Hi

Iv'e re-installed my server with 10.12 now and running 5.3.1. In 5.4 file share service is missing but in 5.3 it's there. Hopefully this will work again.

Thanks for answering.

Regards,
hq
---------------------------

On Server 5.4, the file share service is in the Sharing Pane of System Preferences.  Why Apple thinks this is somehow better, I am not sure.

#7 2017-12-19 16:42:38

asterizk

Hi Trikster, did you get anywhere?

I'm facing the same issue-- I can reach my DeployStudio SMB share by connecting to it in the Finder from another machine on the same network using Go > Connect to Server > entering "smb://192.168.0.1" (without the quotes) and providing the correct DS credentials when prompted, but the DeployStudio Runtime won't authenticate the same share from a client machine [Mac-to-be-imaged] that is Netbooted. 

From that same machine where I could connect to the share from the Finder, I was also able to mount the share from the command line:

=====
mount_smbfs //dsadmin:<my password>@192.168.0.1/Public /tmp/DSNetworkRepository/
=====

and view files on it.

But using that same command when run from the Terminal of the Netbooted [to-be-imaged] machine errors out with the following (which is the same message seen in the DS Log):

=====
mount_smbfs: server rejected the connection: Authentication error
=====

Echoing the mount_smbfs exit status using "echo $?", returns "77". I haven't been able to figure out what that means yet.

My config is DS 1.7.8 (b170908), Server 5.4, macOS 10.13.2 running on a mid-2010 Mac mini Server, which is serving a Netboot set made from itself (10.13.2, build 17C88) to a MacBook Air 6,2 (the Mac-to-be-imaged).

Note that the exact same configuration of everything works fine when I just swap the failing MacBook Air 6,2 for a MacBook Air 7,2. I'm kind of stumped. Fortunately I believe I've got another MacBook Air 6,2 kicking around here so I'm going to try it as a tie-breaker, maybe I'll have some more info soon.

-------------------------------------------------------

Update: So the second MacBook Air 6,2 failed also (wasn't able to mount the DS SMB share either (same "mount_smbfs: server rejected the connection: Authentication error" message)).

However, I've been able to dupe two older MacBook Pros and a newer one on the same server/DS configuration. 

That brings the success list of this Server/DS configuration to:

- MacBook Pro 8,1 [13"-late 2011]
- MacBook Pro 9,2 [13"-mid 2012]
- MacBook Pro 12,1 [13"-early 2015]
- MacBook Air 7,2 [13"-early 2015]

And the failure list to:

- MacBook Air 6,2 [13"-Mid 2013] (2 different units)

Not sure why the MacBook Air 6,2 is failing. As part of my debugging I've tried using:

=====
/usr/bin/smbutil view -A //dsadmin:<my password>@192.168.0.1
=====

...in the Terminal while the machine is Netbooted, and it fails with the same error message & exit status as "mount_smbfs" does ("server rejected the connection: Authentication error" and 77, respectively). That command works just fine on the units in the success list. That command should just test being able to authenticate to the SMB server in question (notice I don't specify the share I'm trying to use).

Googling "mount_smbfs" exit statuses was fruitless.  I've also tried looking up the source to mount_smbfs, and closest I've gotten is looking at OS X 10.10 sources (can't find it in the 10.13 sources), but I kind of get lost trying to find status 77: https://opensource.apple.com/source/smb/smb-759.40.1/mount_smbfs/mount_smbfs.c.auto.html

At at loss for ideas at this point. Will post here if I think of anything else..

Last edited by asterizk (2017-12-20 00:16:57)

"Some changes are so slow, you don't notice them.  Others are so fast, they don't notice you."  // Apple discussion forums user Gary Kerbaugh

#8 2017-12-20 00:25:16

Trikster

I was able to get the repository to mount on 10.12.6 after a handful of things were in place.

1. static IP
2. hostname associated in DNS with that static IP
3. DS admin pointing to hostname (not IP)
4. NetBoot set pointing to hostname (not IP)

If any one of these points at the server's IP, the repository will not mount...either locally or on computers that have been Netboot.

10.13.2 however, I am not even getting that far.  DS is telling me that the NetBoot set is completed successfully, but when I try to boot from it, something fails, and the computer restarts.  The server is a 2017 iMac that came with Sierra on it, the computers I am trying to boot with are also 2017 models, but they come with SSD's and High Sierra installed from Apple.  I am about to go on winter break, I am probably going to ask if I can take one of the newest iMac's home to play with. 

This is so frustrating.

Last edited by Trikster (2017-12-20 00:25:43)

#9 2017-12-20 16:06:10

asterizk

Hi Trikster, thanks for the quick reply! 

I haven't needed to use DNS anywhere in my setup, but I am simulating my company's private "dupe" VLAN by just using a basic 5-port gigabit switch on my desk. I am wondering if maybe your DNS woes are related to needing to jump from one subnet to another at your institution (everything in my setup is on the same subnet).

Curious for my own record keeping, which type of 2017 computers are spontaneously rebooting on you when you try to Netboot them?

If the computers you're trying to image with DeployStudio come pre-imaged from Apple with High Sierra, they should also have the firmware update installed on them already that is required for High Sierra's APFS filesystem to work on SSD drives, so that shouldn't be an issue for you (that's one thing I know I'm going to have to contend with if I decide to start imaging older machines that contain SSDs, with High Sierra*).

I have seen spontaneous rebooting of systems while trying to netboot the 2015-era machines I mentioned in my post, in the past, but the behavior as I recall was slightly different than what you are describing -- they got through netbooting just fine, and even appeared to image just fine, but would get stuck trying to boot post-imaging. At the time I chalked it up to having a too-old version of DeployStudio (was running 1.72). The OS image I was trying to put on them contained 10.12, so that should have been new enough. The update to DS 1.7.8 does seem to have fixed that for me.

Best of luck to you in your research over the break (remember to enjoy your break also!)

*If you're curious about this, reading Mike Bombich's APFS FAQ is highly instructive: https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/everything-you-need-know-about-carbon-copy-cloner-and-apfs 
** Also -- I can't help myself, I must share -- I find Charles Edge's posts on krypted.com about all things Mac to be very well-written and helpful. Here's everything he's written about High Sierra (includes setting up Server 5.4): http://krypted.com/?s=high+sierra

Last edited by asterizk (2017-12-20 16:15:51)

"Some changes are so slow, you don't notice them.  Others are so fast, they don't notice you."  // Apple discussion forums user Gary Kerbaugh

#10 2017-12-20 20:05:48

Trikster

Only have a couple minutes, but I’m not jumping subnets at all. This is just to get it to work on one subnet. When I cross subnets, I boot from a USB NetBoot drive that points to the server. I’m trying to get my network guys to put all my labs on one subnet so I don’t have to deal with Flashdrives.

#11 2018-01-06 00:35:47

asterizk

So some additional details on my DS 1.7.8/macOS 10.13.2/Server 5.4 woes:

In addition to the problems I had duping the two MacBook Air 6,2 units above, I've also had trouble duping two of four seemingly identical MacBook Pro 9,2's. Two of them are able to successfully authenticate, but two of them will not (these two fail out with authentication errors right before the DS workflow selector screen appears, regardless of whether I'm using CIFS, SMB, or AFP):

mount_smbfs: server rejected the connection: Authentication error (if server is set up to use SMB or CIFS)
or
mount_afp: AFPMountURL returned error 2, errno is 3 (if server is set up to use AFP)

I've looked for differences in firmware between the working and failing MacBook Pro 9,2s and there are some very slight differences in Boot ROM and SMC Version numbers, but they seem minor (if anyone is interested I'll post).

I've recreated the "Public" sharepoint. No joy.  I've tried following these instructions, hoping on the off chance it might also help me with my 10.13.2 setup, but no joy:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208317

And I've probably tried a bunch of other things I just can't remember right now.

FYI, I've given up on trying to get the above config to work. I've reverted to my prior DeployStudio setup, and everything is golden for me again -- no more authentication errors and EVERYTHING I need to dupe is duping for me at the moment.

Here's the details of that (working) config:
DS Server:
-OS X 10.11.3
-DS 1.7.2
-Server version 5.0.15
-Netboot set made from 10.11.3
-Some 10.12 images that I made back when I was using DS 1.7.8 and have manually copied back to my DS 1.7.2 HFS masters folder, for the MacBook Air 7,2. Using 10.11.6 images for the MacBook Pro 9,2.
-Single subnet, unicasting.

With that config I've been able to successfully authenticate and dupe the two types machines I really care about right now:
- MacBook Pro 9,2 [13"-mid 2012] (all four of them)
- MacBook Air 7,2 [13"-early 2015] (I only have one of these right now, so not sure how robust this support is)

I'll try other machines later, probably. Will update here if I do.

Last edited by asterizk (2018-01-06 00:40:04)

#12 2018-04-04 00:15:04

bretbenz

This is because if you use a Mac with flash storage, High Sierra will upgrade the file system to APFS. High Sierra does not allow you to run AFP on APFS drives. You can turn on the checkbox but it will never let you load it.

Board footer