You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2017-01-31 16:46:31

janthenat
Website

Applications installed by file copy will not open

My standard imaging workflows have some applications that are installed using the File Copy function, including setting permissions.  Apparently something has happened because recently all applications installed in this manner can not be launched due to permissions problems.

I've confirmed that the permissions are being set by the File Copy function.  In order to make the application usable I have to run the chmod command on the local machine, using the existing permissions, with but with the "-R" switch.

Anybody seen this?

My DeployStudio Repository is hosted on a Mac OS X v10.9 Xserve running OS X Server and I recently had to re-propagate permissions on the entire shared folder.  I'm sure this caused the problem because the timing works out, I just don't get why the permission settings in the "File Copy" function are not sufficient.

#2 2017-02-09 22:05:13

mjsanders
Website

Re: Applications installed by file copy will not open

Mac apps are in reality folders ('packages') which content you can see with control-click.
Using chmod -R will set the X bit (executable) for all files inside the package, which is NOT ok.
Only a few should have the X bit set.

Using the file copy task is not suitable for Apps (as you found out..)

I recommend to create a package for your apps, and use the step 'install package' to do this.
It is very easy to create packages, read this blog for starters:

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2014/05/02/building-simple-packages-with-packages/

#3 2017-02-10 16:49:48

janthenat
Website

Re: Applications installed by file copy will not open

So, it appears that fixing the file permissions on the applications in the DeployStudioRepository share has fixed the problem for me.

Thanks mjsanders for your thoughts on this.  I do agree that using file copy is not ideal for deploying applications, nevertheless, creating packages for these apps is just not going to happen for various reasons.  Main reason is that this process has been working for us for years, just had a hiccup of some sort.

Interestingly, I did notice in DS logs that the permission setting portion of the file copy function does use "-R".

Board footer