You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2016-12-13 19:19:11

rzeithammel

Creating script only workflow for out of box Mac

I am trying to create a workflow for taking an out of box MacBook Pro and running scripts to configure it for our enterprise.  I have to load setup and create the default user.  Then netbook to DS Runtime and select the workflow. Only a couple of the scripts actually run:

setting computer name to serial
joining Active Directory

The others that don't seem to be taking:
installing certificates to Keychain
setting up wireless profile
creating hidden local admin user account
enabling remote administration settings
removing default user profile

Anyone have any luck with configuring the OS out of box without having to lay down an image first?  I am only experienced with the modular image approach and trying to create out of box and thin image workflows.

Thanks in advance

#2 2016-12-13 21:26:59

mjsanders
Website

Re: Creating script only workflow for out of box Mac

Workflows that apply DS configuartions or profiles without (re) imaging a thick image should be possbile.

The last time I tried the 'postponed; execution works best, since the client configurations are better known. (i made a workflow that installed a pkg to update to EL Cap, and install two profiles)
The DS_variables cannot be used in scripts postponed, that is a bummer.

Did you run the script while netbooted to do things on the (never configured) client, or used the DS workflow to make ds_finalize do the configuration, profile installation etc?

Basically running a workflow after restoring an image (created with AutoDMG, no users) should be the same as running the same workflow (without the restore) on a fresh Mac.

I think your issue is in some of the details, but I cannot tell which detail
You mention 'scripts that actually run' : do you write the scripts yourself, or are you referring to the scripts run after reboot during ds_finalize ?
What is the log /var/log/ds_finalize.log telling you?

#3 2016-12-14 15:41:52

chucksteel

Most of these things should be possible using scripts. We have a workflow setup that can be applied to an out of the box system that:
Creates a local user (using CreateUserPkg)
Sets the localization settings
Suppresses the first run junk
Sets remote administration via a script
Installs our standard software

As mjsanders said most of this happens by using the postponed execution options. On a fast network connection we can take a computer out of the box and ready for deployment in about half an hour.

When I have needed to install certificates and wireless profiles I used ProfileManager but you should be able to script those, too.

#4 2016-12-19 15:48:08

rzeithammel

Thanks.  I will play around with that and post back with the results.

#5 2016-12-22 17:55:21

rzeithammel

That worked FYI.  thanks

#6 2016-12-22 18:04:11

rzeithammel

I have a first boot script created to set the hidden admin acct, language\region\time, settings, and several other configs.  Even with that running, It still boots to setting the keyboard and creating a user.  All my settings are stored for the admin acct created in script, but I would like to not have to create a local user on first boot.  Any suggestions?

#7 2016-12-23 13:22:31

mjsanders
Website

create the file .AppleSetupDone in /var/db/, this will stop the setup assistant from running.
(this is what deploystudio does when you tick the box: 'Skip Apple Setup/Server assisant')
Mind the dot (.) before the filename!

Last edited by mjsanders (2016-12-23 13:23:02)

Board footer