You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2016-11-14 20:52:31

ssg1492

Using Deploy Studio with a Fusion Drive

Hello
Am new to Deploy Studio Have had great success with using Deploy Studio with non-Fusion drives but can't get it to work with the Fusion drives How do you do it Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Gary

#2 2016-11-15 20:59:52

meca62793

Re: Using Deploy Studio with a Fusion Drive

You need to make a separate workflow for fusion drives.

#3 2016-11-17 12:43:40

ssg1492

Hi Member
Thanks for reply but not sure what is meant by it
Have a brand new IMAC 27" with Fusion drives and need to image it Have created a base image but when I disk image it and then deploy it to another mac with a fusion drive it separates them
Which workflow  should I use Do I start with the fusion drive workflow then go to disk image

then when I deploy I start with fusion drive and then restore

Please any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Gary

#4 2016-11-17 16:30:00

meca62793

In deploy studio you have a workflow to create images from a drive and another workflow to deploy those images.

Fusion drives require their own workflow to be deployed.

#5 2016-11-21 00:42:53

ssg1492

Sorry Member to be such a pain I really trying to understand
So instead of using the one already there I have to create my own?
How would I do this \?
Again so sorry about being an idiot about this and thank you for your help

#6 2016-11-21 17:25:17

meca62793

Yes, you need to create your own workflow to restore to a fusion drive. There have been several posts about this on this forum. I suggest using the search on this forum/

#7 2016-11-25 14:04:12

ssg1492

Hi meca62793
Have tried serval workflows on this site and have had no luck Not sure if I am doing anything wrong or right Anyway you can help me or point me in the right direction Any bit of info would help

Thanks
Gary

#8 2016-11-25 16:21:48

mjsanders
Website

I do not have a Fusion drive Mac to test, but I think the part below will work:

You need to have an image in your 'Masters' directory that works for your Mac (can be from AutoDMG or created from a similar Mac using DeployStudio 'Create Image' workflow.

Create a new workflow and give it a nice name like 'Fusion erase and restore to sierra'
Add at least two steps to the workflow:
1-the Fusion Drive step
2-the Restore step

in Fusion Drive you have some options, I think the best is
Solid State drive : First SSD available
Hard Drive : First HD available

This step will by default generate a volume 'Untitled' volume

In the Restore step;
Target Volume: Enter Value, and on the right the name 'Untitled; (result from step 1) should be selectable from the pull down menu
Image : HFS and the image for this Mac should be selectable from the pull down menu.

Most of the settings are good at default.
Save workflow
Enable the workflow (checkbox at the right of the title)

netboot your fusion drive Mac from the DSR-....nbi and test

Use the automate checkbox at the bottom of each step if you like (if it fails, the runtime will not continue)

Add more steps to your workflow if you like, but always start with a basic one, that is easier to troubleshoot.

shameless plug of my company: we offer a 3 day DeployStudio training in early december (in Netherlands :-): click on the website link below my name.
PM me for a good offer to join last-minute

#9 2016-11-25 19:51:55

ssg1492

Hi mjsanders
Thanks for your reply but its creating the workflow that I am having problems with I need to make a script to do so have looked on post here but when I run them it looks like nothing happens So I am asking for help with the scripts If you can point me in the right direction it would be helpful

Thanks
Gary
PS I wish I live in the Netherlands would love to take the course but live in Canada

#10 2016-11-25 19:52:59

ssg1492

> meca62793 wrote:

> Yes, you need to create your own workflow to restore to a fusion drive. There have been several posts about this on this forum. I suggest using the search on this forum/

Hi meca62793
Have tried serval workflows on this site and have had no luck Not sure if I am doing anything wrong or right Anyway you can help me or point me in the right direction Any bit of info would help
Thanks
Gary

#11 2016-11-27 17:13:54

mjsanders
Website

Hi Gary, I think you still struggle with the correct names, procedure, how to do something.
Fusion drive is a special thing, and in the posts above we may have assumed you know the basics, and I have a feeling that is what you are missing, so our answers may be on the small details.

Start with the workflow part of this guide: http://www.deploystudio.com/Downloads/Extras/DeployStudio_Guide_2.0.pdf (starting at page 48) to get a better description of how to build a workflow, with screenshots and explanation.

This specific doc is outdated, but the general idea is still valid.

the other docs on this page may help too : http://www.deploystudio.com/category/documentation

Go and try everything on a mac. There are many small checkboxes that make (or break) you day, and if you want to learn: noting beats experience.

keep on trying, you will get there. Too bad Canada -> netherlands is not an option :-)

Board footer