You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2016-09-29 20:38:15

Oh4sh0

USB Drive that updates itself/syncs with Master?

I was looking through the documentation, and couldn't quite find what I was after.

Is there an option to create a USB drive that will keep itself up to date, by attempting to sync with the Master when it is used and found that it does not match the master's contents?

Such a config would keep most of the traffic local, and ensure the USB devices stay up to date.

#2 2016-09-30 09:31:36

mjsanders
Website

Re: USB Drive that updates itself/syncs with Master?

Yes, that will work I have done that in the past.
Just create a full standalone USB disk, with OSX, DeployStudio server, NetInstall, repository , and setup as replica.

By default it will try to replicate every night, but in the Preference Pane you can click replicate now.

I have done this in the past, it may be good for (remote) locations with slow or no internet.
You boot from the USB disk while having fast connection: run replicate, drive to remote location and deploy the latest images and workflows!

Make sure to keep the 'mobile' server using DHCP, and .local addresses everywhere since you (probably) do not know local address rangen.(see an other post of this week)

Last edited by mjsanders (2016-09-30 09:32:06)

#3 2016-10-03 14:07:39

Oh4sh0

That would still seem to rely on the tech manually synchronizing it (because who's going to leave a machine usb-booted and plugged in to synchronize each night?) which I'd really like to get away from to ensure the sticks stay up to date.

Don't suppose there's a method where the stick will automatically check/attempt to update when it images a machine? That way, the stick is always up-to-date (with the trade off that the initial update may take.. some time.)

#4 2016-10-03 21:18:10

mjsanders
Website

Of course there is, the script that does the syncing is in /etc/periodic/daily/950.deploystudio.replica.sync.sh (run by normally periodic, at the daily schedule (3h15 am?)

Just make a different launchd or launchagent to start the syncing on the moment you want. (folder action, applescript at login, whatever you like)

But It is not clear to me what you try to do:
-If networks speed is an issue, do syncing at night (requires a mac to be on)
-If local independency is important, a forced sync before deployment will give possible long delays.

If you train the local tech to run manual sync on a time that is convenient , you have best combination of independence and syncing imho.

Board footer