You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2016-01-27 15:31:57

morlando

Brand new to DeployStudio

Good morning everyone, please bare with me as I am completely new to DeployStudio, and some of the terms and jargon out a little out of my range. We have downloaded DeployStudio on our local server here at our school. We have a classroom of about 30 Macs that we want to push new OS and Packages to.

I installed DS based on this video here on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm5j1MnGuAc

The only thing I did not do was set it up on a network, and did it locally. So I pointed the folder at a HD on the server and have not set up NetBoot.

I have downloaded the DeployStudio Server 1.7.1 on our server and on two of the computers out in the lab.

The server is running OSX 10.8.5

The Macs in the computer lab are running OSX 10.9.5

I used AutoDMG and placed El Capitan and some user profiles/packages into it as well. The AutoDMG created was placed in the Masters/HFC folder and can be seen in the DeployStudio Admin "Masters" list.

I added both Macs to my Computer list using their serial numbers, and input their IP addresses into the Network Tab.

At this point, when I log into the DeployStudio Run Time on the macs in the lab, I get a Repository Access Error, which I imagine is because the Repository is set up on the Server's HD and it cannot see it because of that. Is it necessary for Runtime to see that repository on our labs Macs?

Once I add a Mac via Serial Number in the DeployStudio Admin, how do I push that AutoDMG file I created with the new OS to the computers out in the lab? I see some options, and can select the DMG file, but I cannot see any options to select specific computers for it to be reimaged.

I appreciate any help I receive. This is very new to me and I would like to understand it as much as I can.

#2 2016-01-27 15:47:39

alwaysbebatman

Re: Brand new to DeployStudio

You will need to set up file sharing in your server app to allow deploystudio to access your masters and packages.

If you then create a netboot image using the helper you should be able to see it when you netboot the macs in your classroom... Each time you boot into deploystudio the machines details will be added automatically so you can avoid having to add them all first :)

I was in the same situation as you a few months ago with over a hundred macs to image and not a lot of time to work it all out! Once you get them booing over your network it gets much easier!

#3 2016-01-27 15:55:47

morlando

Thank you for your reply!

I do have File Sharing set up in my server app with DeployStudio in it.

So I need to set up Netboot in order for my DeployStudio Admin on my Server to locate and automatically locate the Macs in my lab, correct?

This is going to sound obvious to some, but I need to install the same version of DeployStudio on all of my Macs, so they are able to communicate with the Server correct? Can it only be the Runtime server, or should it be the whole package of Admin, Assistant and Runtime?

Also, if I do install DS on them, and I have Netboot set up, it will then recognize those with it installed?

I appreciate your help and quick response.

Last edited by morlando (2016-01-27 16:00:46)

#4 2016-01-27 16:03:46

alwaysbebatman

No problem... I hope my advice is right!

I'm still pretty new to it all but have managed to muddle my way through it so far

You create the NetBoot image which includes a copy of the runtime - No need to install it on your machines first :)

Just boot them up whilst pressing N and they will see the netboot image if it's set up right, this will then see the task sequences you've created and you can run it from there... You can image machines strait out of the box if needed

#5 2016-01-27 16:31:08

morlando

I created the netboot image and is now on in the server app. I did press Option-N on the computer when I booted it up, it flashed a picture of a globe for a couple minutes but nothing happened on that side. I didn't see this in the video I watched, so I'm not sure what work around are there for me. I may start from scratch since I'm learning new things. Perhaps I should have set it up on the Network, as opposed to locally, that may have a huge impact on the steps I'm performing.

When you set up your server, did you set it up as a local folder, or on a network?

#6 2016-01-27 16:50:40

alwaysbebatman

DS is installed on our mac server and the DS Server was set up as a network sharepoint... The spinning globe means it's looking for a netboot image and presumably not finding one...Does your server assign DHCP or is it handled by another domain controller?

#7 2016-01-27 16:56:09

morlando

Our mac server does not assign the dhcp, it's done separately.

I'm going to start this from scratch and see if setting it up as a network as opposed locally works. Since the video I followed does it that way, anything else I did after might not work because it doesn't follow the same exact steps.

I'll update you shortly when I complete the re-install.

Thank you again for your help!

#8 2016-01-27 18:10:47

morlando

Okay so I re-installed using a network based set up. I tried using the Option-N again, but it only asked for my HD or Recovery Partition. This is going to take a bit of work, if there is a how to push these images from my server to a computer I can see I would gladly look over it, if you have any suggestions on that I would be grateful.

#9 2016-01-28 11:33:11

alwaysbebatman

Sounds like netboot isn't working properly

Have you had a look at this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vesUJfO9O1A

#10 2016-01-28 14:05:00

morlando

I'll take a look at it right now, thank you for your help!

#11 2016-07-21 09:31:41

Chilternburt

Also, just a suggestion but just hold down N on boot, not Option N, cause then you will see the Netboot server and if you have more than one image you can choose which one to use...

Board footer