You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2015-04-16 20:52:37

ComputerConnection

Need a "Don't Rename" option for Restore task

Unless we are missing something obvious, it would be really handy for us to have a "Don't Rename" option for the Restore task.

If the field is left blank, then we get the name of the image that was restored. What we would like to be able to get, is the name that was given to the partition by the Partition task.

I suppose that ideally, there would be three options--

* Leave (or restore) the partition name to that which is was before the Restore Task. (As Was)

* Change the partition name to whatever the name was on the image that was restored. (Image Name)

* Change the partition name to some specified name that we can enter. (or a script variable could define.)

Thanks for the consideration.

Last edited by ComputerConnection (2015-04-16 20:52:48)

#2 2015-04-17 19:14:41

Meat

Re: Need a "Don't Rename" option for Restore task

By default, the restore target partition gets the name of the original master partition.
You have the option to rename a restored target partition already, in the restore task. If the restore task is automated, you won't get the opportunity. Disable the automation in the restore task and rename the target volume's before pressing the start button for the task.

What is the driving need for renaming the hard drive partitions? Wouldn't it be easier to just leave them alone? I can't think of a partition name "dependent" software product. That doesn't mean there isn't one, but...

#3 2015-04-17 22:00:47

ComputerConnection

We don't want to rename hard drive partitions. We want them to be left with the name that they were created with. Which is not the name of the image that is restored to them.

#4 2015-04-18 15:19:56

homerdjw
Website

I think the issue is that the name of the partition (or volume) is replaced as part of the image restoration process. You can test this by restoring an image to a differently named partition in Disk Utility.

I guess the way DS does the "rename after imaging process" is by manually changing the name as part of the workflow.

To achieve the same name as part of the workflow would need DS to read the target disk name, store this somewhere, then reapply it post-restore.

Not too difficult, but it isn't something that Disk Utility or disk restore (asr) supports, AFAIK.

Hope that helps to some degree!

Darren

#5 2015-04-18 15:55:31

ComputerConnection

Thanks homerdjw/Darren. I'm not sure of the inner workings, but that is what we are looking for.

Part of that functionality is already there, in that we do have the ability to specify a name. This value is currently stored somewhere.

What we need is an option to read the current value, and put it where ever it is stored when you specify an explicit name to give it,

#6 2015-04-29 02:33:52

hunty1

you could run a script task before imaging. the script would read the hard drive name, store it as a env variable or write it to disk. then run a script task at the end of the workflow which then uses the stored value as the name to rename the disk.

pretty easy

!#/bin/bash

# export the hard drive name to variable my_hd_name
export my_hd_name=`diskutil list | awk '/Apple_HFS/ {print $3}'`

or to a file:

#!/bin/bash

diskutil list | awk '/Apple_HFS/ {print $3}' > /tmp/hard_drive_name.txt

u get the idea

#7 2015-05-28 19:35:49

ComputerConnection

Sure, that is a good work around. But better still would be to have an option in the Restore task.

#8 2015-05-28 19:57:31

mjsanders
Website

So the lesson is: create your master images with the Volume name you want the restored workstation to have.
Or use the rename function.
If you want to rename your existing images, you can give this procedure to rename the volumes inside a dmg a try.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8110306/is-it-possible-to-rename-a-sparsebundle-volume-label-without-mounting-renaming-u
(have not tried it yet myself, all my images have the volume name Macintosh HD, or some name that I want the workstation to have)

#9 2015-05-29 01:02:32

Meat

Turn off "Automate" for the image task.
Fire up the terminal and "ls -l /Volumes"

Copy the name and paste it into the rename field and hit go.

Just a thought.

Board footer