You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2014-03-18 12:54:01

MikeNL

NetBoot menu

Hi everyone,

I was in the Apple Store last week, and they had this awesome NetBoot menu where you simply press N and you get a long list of boot options.

We have four NetBoot sets and it would be great if we could have a menu where you could select it.
I understand that with the new macs that you can select the one you want. This is not possible with pre-2009 machines.

Is there something like this available?

Regards,
Michael

#2 2014-04-21 22:02:27

bkushio

Re: NetBoot menu

You are probably talking about AST which the Technicians use to Diagnose the hardware, if you have anybody with access to GSX I believe its free.  Our hardware techs have it installed as the default netboot image and then just go to Other Netboot options and see a list of all of the DS netboot sets.  This works great when everyone is on the same subnet, but when we start crossing subnets then netbooting from the other images causes issues.

#3 2014-04-22 15:12:41

mjsanders
Website

Re: NetBoot menu

There is no easy way to make this menu work on pre-2009 machines. (maybe you can get ReFIT to be netbootable??)
But maybe it helps to filter .nbi's on hardware model, so there is only one per hardware type enabled.
(see http://macops.ca/customizing-hardware-model-filters-for-netboot/ for an introduction)
Then you can press the N key on any older Mac, and it will only boot the only image that is enabled for this type of Mac.

Board footer