You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2014-01-23 08:28:18

mike.mcd

Dual Booted 2013 iMacs with Fusion Drives Failing Win7 Deployment

After messing with my dual boot boot problem over the past couple of days I've narrowed my problem down to something with DS's fusion workflow. Has anyone else run into this? I'm using new 2013 iMacs with Fusion drives with 1.6.4 NB (tried both 131113 and 140121) with an Xserve running 10.6 Server.

- Created 10.9.1 OSX image & tested with a manual deployment as well as with DS on older 5400rpm only iMacs and on the new ones with fusion drives. Never a problem deploying this.
- Created a syspreped Windows 7 image. Pulled it without using the DS tools option. This image will deploy to non-fusion bootcamp partitions without issue.
- If I unbox a new fusion iMac, run bootcamp assistant, then pull the OSX image and the Windows 7 image, the deployment works fine (since I haven't used the fusion workflow)
- If I copy my deployment workflow and only add the DeployStuido Fusion function (in it, creating a bootcamp partition) and pull both images the workflow will run to completion on DS's end reporting no errors. When I boot the unit, it will finalize and load OSX correctly.

The problem? When I boot to the startup manager, I see 2 separate "Macintosh HD's" and my net boot option. No Bootcamp. Stranger is either Macintosh HD will load OSX. When I load OSX and open disk utility I see the bootcamp partition has 36GB of used space (as I would expect with a proper deployment), but I can't boot to it. If I pull up "Startup Disk" under system preferences, "Windows on Bootcamp" is listed. Selecting it brings me to the "No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key"....

I'm running out of options here... I've tried repairing disk permissions but that didn't work either. What am I doing wrong? The only time the windows image won't correctly deploy is when I'm using the Fusion workflow. Is it a bootflag problem? Is there another problem in addition to this? Does anyone have the same workflow but is having success?

Here's the options I'm left to:
1. Manually run bootcamp assistant on all machines 1st, then run the imaging workflow.

2. Using DS, blow up the fusion drive into it's separate SSD (disk0) and HDD (disk1) then dump windows on 1 and OSX on the other.

Is/has anyone else experienced this? While I can run with option #1 and wait for this to eventually get solved I'd like to actually isolate what the trouble is. Is it a problem with the new iMac hardware and DS? Is it something I'm doing wrong on my end? Any insight you may have I've open to!

Thanks!

#2 2014-07-25 17:43:29

Kacey3

Re: Dual Booted 2013 iMacs with Fusion Drives Failing Win7 Deployment

Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the same problem and cannot seem to find a solution.

#3 2014-07-25 17:57:32

mike.mcd

At the time, with classes beginning, I resorted to separating the SSD and HD into 2 separate drives, then loaded OSX on 1 and Windows on the other.

Are you using the latest stable build? I see they have made some modifications to fusion HD's. I just recently upgraded my server to mavericks and will be attempting to upgrade DS to the latest stable build mid/late Aug. I'm hoping it works now....

Let me know how you do or what you run into if you don't mind. I'm really hoping the latest stable build runs without issue...

#4 2014-07-29 21:01:33

Kacey3

I have the latest build of DS on Mavericks and as near as I can tell, the fault lies in the Fusion Drive Tasks ability to partition for Boot Camp. If you use the task to create a single partition Fusion Drive, and then split it locally, you can deploy to the system. But if you rely on the Fusion Drive Task to split the drive for you, it creates a bad partition map and Boot Camp cannot be installed.I still haven't found and elegant solution and know that I'm quickly running out of time to resolve it.

#5 2014-07-30 16:30:41

mike.mcd

Sorry to hear Kacey... You're right, the issue is with the fusion drive task. If I use boot camp assistant to partition the drive, then run the deploy studio workflow (minus the fusion task), everything works great. It's just time consuming to run the assistant on 80 machines.

#6 2016-06-23 22:07:53

ebonweaver

From what I see this bug has not yet been fixed?  Anyone found a way around this?
I'm assuming there is a way to script what Bootcamp Assistant is doing, and I'm aware that because Windows does not understand Fusion what it's doing is taking a part of the mechanical drive for the Win partition and leaving the SSD fused with the Mac partition, but I don't know enough to figure out how to do that in a script.  I tried scripting fusing the SSD to the HDD AFTER deployment (as suggested in another thread), but the problem is this just creates an LVM of those volumes that isn't actually Fusion so performance is not as expected.  I can make a new fusion drive, but that requires using the whole disk not a partition.  So no matter what I'm stuck with needing to make the windows partition manually since DS isn't working (heck even Disk Utility can't do this, you MUST use Bootcamp Assistant), but I can't find anyone who have figured out the terminal commands for what BA is doing...

#7 2016-06-24 02:16:42

mike.mcd

No luck here. Would love to have a better solution as well...

#8 2017-06-27 16:31:24

mike.mcd

It's my testing time of year again...

Upgraded to 1.7.6. Still no solution here for me. The Fusion drive creates normally. I can install OSX without issue. It's the windows component that's giving me grief. I think it has something to do with UEFI.

My sysprep'ed windows image will install without issue when I separate the fusion drive to independent SSD and HD's. So the image is ok. However, when running the Fusion drive workflow and creating a Bootcamp partition, things go off the rails. It installs OSX no problem. It also installs Windows (as I can see the Bootcamp partition in OSX and files are deployed on it). I don't see BOOTCAMP in the boot menu however (only OSX 1 and OSX 2, but boot OSX). When I choose BOOTCAMP as the startup disk in OSX, I get the "No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key".

Any thoughts?

Board footer