You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2013-03-29 21:43:59

csparksfly

Workflow Groups for Nesting

I apologize in advance if this has already been covered but I can't seem to find a solution.

Is there a way to create a group for workflows in order to place similar workflows under the group?  I'd like to be able to have a group for 10.6 with various workflows specifically tailored to 10.6, one for 10.7, one for MDT and BootCamp, and then another group for all the applications workflows.  Basically, is there a way to have a less flat windows for the workflows?  We have over 15 workflows and it gets kind of difficult to navigate and plan with the alphabetizing of the workflows currently being the only organizational feature.

Thanks for all the hard work.  This tool is a life saver!

#2 2013-04-17 19:43:30

thodmart

Re: Workflow Groups for Nesting

That would be a great feature. We are already doing that with our WDS/MDT (soon to be SCCM) for our Windows imaging. We have several different groups of people, preforming different imaging tasks. Such grouping would save a lot of digging each time you go in.

#3 2013-10-27 17:22:25

PaintedTurtle

+3 (We are casting three votes as we are in the Chicago Illinois area, where the unofficial motto is "Vote Early, Vote Often!".)

Seriously, we too, would love to see this. Would also love to see the ability to nest workflows in general.

My understanding is the nested workflow support wasn't added because of concerns of people accidentally creating workflows that directly or indirectly call themselves, thus creating infinite loops. I'm not saying that it isn't a valid concern. But, for most of us, the cure is worse than the disease. But here are a couple of proposed workarounds:

1. What if workflows had a user settable level associated with them? Then we might require that level 1 workflows could only call level 2 workflows. And level 2 workflows could only call level 3 workflows. That would seem to pretty much prevent infinite loops.

2. What if we have a list of previously called workflows. Each time a work-flow is called, it checks to see if it was previously executed. If so, it aborts with an error. Otherwise it adds itself to the list and runs.

3. What if we just gave administrators the option of creating nested workflows, even if they might call themselves. And even if they might do so recursively. It is hard for me to imagine a good use for recursion in Deploy Studio, but maybe there are some that just aren't obvious to me. Would all of us have picked recursion to solve some of the classical recursion examples, like the "Towers of Hanoi" for example?

#4 2014-02-06 02:01:31

Strawgate

Painted Turtle,

I think they are asking for Folders in the runtime to organize workflows by -- which is +1 from me.

I think you are asking for more advanced uses of nested workflows -- which is also +1 from me.

We would love the idea to be able to have a workflow called, "OSX With Applications"

OSX with Applications workflow:
Step 1: Call Generic Format workflow
Step 2: Call Generic 10.9 restore workflow
Step 3: Call Generic Applications workflow

Generic Applications Workflow:
Step 1: Install Chrome Workflow
Step 2: Install Firefox Workflow
Step 3: Install Office Workflow

Chrome Workflow:
Step 1: Install Chrome
Step 2: Configure Chrome

The result would be that we can update a script or a package in one place and have it be updated in all of the workflows that use it because it's just expanding out another workflow

#5 2014-04-21 22:12:15

bkushio

I manage a school district with over 90 sites with Deploystudio and while most are alright with the generic workflow we have a ton of different configurations.  If you add folders to sort work flows then I would personally donate to the project because it would make my life that much easier.  I would like to create a folder for Generic Workflows, and then Folders with Site Specific Workflows.

Right now I tell as many people as I can, "No" to site specific templates and then sort my Runtime by putting spaces in front of the title and then depending on how many spaces sorts it alphabetically, but it makes it a pain when I want to reorder or a new version comes out.

Board footer