You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2013-03-05 17:31:40

ehemmete

Generic Recovery HDs

We use Deploy Studio for imaging a classroom with different images for each class.  This means we have at least 9 common images.  It would be nice if we could have a generic 10.8 recovery HD image file instead of one for each specific image.  Some of the classes include partitioning so we need to repartition at the beginning of class.  It isn't a huge deal, but they do take up space on the imaging server that is basically just wasted.

Thanks,
Eric

#2 2013-03-06 14:51:58

bw38

Re: Generic Recovery HDs

How are you making your images? If you're using InstaDMG or a similar imaging tool you may not need so many images. Also, this may be of use:
http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2011/10/22/removing-and-rebuilding-a-malfunctioning-recover-hd-partition/

I was using this for a while to basically apply a recovery image when InstaDMG didn't build Recovery Partitions. It worked flawlessly as I simply ran a package after imaging that would install the Recovery Partition. And if you're using the installer from the Mac App Store it should support all generic hardware that isn't using a special build of 10.8.2 (so anything released before Sept 2012 I think at the moment). Hope this helps you somewhat.

#3 2013-03-06 15:14:21

mjsanders
Website

Why do you want a recovery partition?
For recovery of these Mac's there is deploystudio :-)
And I assume FileVault is not needed in class..
Unless you teach system administration and show off the recovery partition.

I suggest to skip the recovery partition, saves time during deployment.

I have used a recovery partition of the latest version and made hard links (on the server) so all deployment images basically use the same restore partition.
Works only if the OS version suppoorts your hardware (no issues if your hardware is older than late 2012).
This saves space on the server, but no time during deployment.

#4 2013-03-06 18:46:07

Meat

Since the recovery partition restoration is relatively brief, I'm not sure time is really an issue. If you need the recovery partition (for a few reasons) then it's a minor issue.
Get a large capacity external volume (raid if you like) and move your repository to it?

#5 2013-03-12 22:14:52

ehemmete

We do use the Recovery HD in class (these are Apple Certification classes).  The hard link idea is interesting.  I will play around with that.
I was just looking to make things more efficient.  The space isn't a huge deal, just seems like it might be possible to have a generic 10.8 image and a generic 10.7 image.

Board footer