You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2012-06-08 03:27:34

PaintedTurtle

Working chroot??

I don't know enough to know if this is a crack-pot suggestion, or if hopefully, it is crazy enough that it just might work. (Feedback is welcome.)

I've noted that using the chroot feature was a good way to get badly written packages to install on drives other than the boot drive. My understanding is that beginning with 10.6, Apple broke chroot, and indicated that the broken state was their "engineering design intent." (i.e. it isn't a bug, it's a "feature".)

My understanding is that a properly working chroot would be helpful to Deploy Studio, instaDMG and a number of other Mac projects.

I also note that chroot exists on Linux and a number of other UNIX systems. Source code should be obtainable there. And the pre-broken source code might also be obtainable via Apple's Darwin Open source project.

So, I'm wondering if maybe "we" might be able to make our own version of chroot, which I will call wchroot, for Working Change Root. I'm explicitly NOT suggesting that the Deploy Studio team create this working chroot. Given the above existing source code, and all of the Universities, schools, software programmers in these combined projects, I would hope that the community could do so. The questions are, is this a doable project? Would it be helpful?

My thought is that the first version should just try to restore the missing functionality. Thus the syntax, flags and options would be the same for wchroot, as they were for chroot.

Since a chroot that actually was secure, might be desirable for other purposes as well, an optional follow on, might be to make a secure version. (schroot) Ideally a schroot jail might be escape proof, unless you know a specific password.

[url]http://wiki.linux.edu/chroot[/url]
[url]http://www.bpfh.net/simes/computing/chroot-break.html[/url]

The syntax might be something like this:

schroot  -p "password" newroot [command]

With other  flags and options the same as the existing chroot.

Then to escape one might do something like

schroot -E "password"

where the "password" must match the prior one.

If no password were supplied in the first calling, my presumption is that the desired behavior would be, for schroot to be totally escape proof.

So everyone, is this useful or a lame idea? And if useful, might we have anyone with expertise and willingness to make it happen? Again, I'd like it to be someone other than the DS team, as I don't want to pull them off of their valuable work.

Last edited by PaintedTurtle (2012-06-12 05:25:31)

#2 2013-06-27 19:29:10

PaintedTurtle

Re: Working chroot??

So after two whole years, over 500+ views, and not even a single comment??

Common gang, I would have thought that at least one person would have suggested if they thought it was a good idea. Or maybe a polite suggestion that it wasn't?

#3 2013-06-27 21:29:53

Meat

Fine. I politely suggest that it isn't. :)

#4 2013-06-30 23:44:07

PaintedTurtle

Because......???

Board footer