You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2014.03.27] DeployStudio last nightly build (release note).
[2013.08.29] DeployStudio last stable build (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal stable build (release note).

#1 2011-05-12 19:33:33

richarro

Dual image restore - cannot allocate memory

I've created new OS X and Windows 7 images for my summer deployment and ran into a deployment issue I've never seen before.  I partition the drive 50/50, install OS X and then install Windows7.  It fails at the beginning of the Windows7 imaging with "could not change the partition type for /dev/disk0s3 cannot allocate memory - command failure XSTA"

Running Xserver 10.6.7 DS NB110427 and am deploying to iMac7,1 and iMac10,1 with OS X 10.6.7 and Windows7 64bit. My iMac 10's have 4GB of memory and the iMac 7's have 3GB.  The image is compressed so I can put it on different sized drives. My slightly smaller Spring image works just fine.

#2 2011-05-12 21:54:45

dave.watkins

Re: Dual image restore - cannot allocate memory

Probably a silly question, but the Windows partition is set to be FAT32 and not HFS?

#3 2011-05-12 22:13:40

richarro

In my opinion, there are no silly questions my friend. Yep, I have the partition set to FAT32. I also just noticed that my master image is an ntfs.dmg file type rather than an ntfs.gz file type and I know that I set it to compressed when creating the master image. I'm re-creating the image as we speak (compressed) and will hopefully have better results in the morning.
Bob :)

#4 2011-05-13 14:40:08

richarro

Nope, the new master Windows image is still an ntfs.dmg file rather than an ntfs.gz file type and I made sure I selected compressed when making the master image. I'm upgrading my DS server to NB110501 and trying again.

#5 2011-05-16 15:00:17

mthomes

I'm having the same issue. I was able to restore this image (using just Restore a master on a volume) to another machine without issue, but when I created a dual os workflow it now fails. I tried imaging the machine with just windows like I did on the previous test machine and I get the same error? Not sure what the issue is.

#6 2011-05-16 15:14:51

richarro

Okay, I've got my stupid hat on. DS is creating a DMG file type so it can be multicasted - one issue figured out. It appears that I'm running into the memory allocation issue when I'm restoring to a smaller hard drive, even though I am compressing the master image. I just successfully deployed to a few workstations if I use a master image taken from the smaller drive workstation. I'll keep you advised as to anything else I find.

#7 2011-05-16 15:58:23

mthomes

I was just about to post that same thing. I created my image on a 500GB partition. No where else in the building am I going to have that kinda size to work with. So I really hope there is a way to deploy an image created on a large partition to a smaller one. If not I'm kinda SOL.

#8 2011-05-16 16:07:02

richarro

One probable solution is to create a smaller Windows partition on your master image workstation; I've been partitioning 50/50 between OSX and Windows, but I'll try 75/25 when I get a chance late this week and I'll leave the restore partitioning at 50/50. I'm playing catch-up after a long vacation but will get to it as soon as I can after I stomp on a few fires first.

#9 2011-05-18 07:20:20

heikkit

I ran into similar problems when upgrading to the rc126. At first I got "could not change the partition size for /dev/disk0s4 cannot allocate memory - command failure XSTA" error message. Solution for that was to disable the "Image NTFS volumes with Mac OS X tools..." in the imaging workflow settings.

The second problem was that I couldn't restore a 50 GB image to a 120 GB partition beacuse the reference computer had a 150 GB windows partition. That seems to be fixed by selecting the "Try to shrink NTFS volume's size before imaging" setting.

I don't know whether it makes any difference that I'm restoring only one OS at a time.

#10 2011-05-26 08:06:30

Gallamore

I was just about to post that same thing. I created my image on a 500GB partition. No where else in the building am I going to have that kinda size to work with. So I really hope there is a way to deploy an image created on a large partition to a smaller one. If not I'm kinda SOL.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ebelow.com][img]http://i47.tinypic.com/dmd8jk.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.ebelow.com/ipad-2-keyboard.html]ipad 2 keyboard[/url] [url=http://www.ebelow.com/ipad-2-wireless-keyboard-bluetooth.html]ipad 2 keyboard Bluetooth[/url]  [url=http://www.ebelow.com/ipad-2-keyboard-cases.html]ipad 2 keyboard cases[/url]

#11 2011-05-26 14:34:21

richarro

When you create your master image, be sure your Create A Master workflow has the "Try to shrink NTFS volume size" option checked. Your restore workflow should then have the "Expand restored NTFS volume" option checked.
My mistake was when I upgraded my DS version. It unchecked the "Try to shrink NTFS volume" option and I didn't notice it. The next time I upgrade, I'll pay more attention.
Yes, you can deploy an image created on a larger partition to a smaller partition drive. My Windows master image is just under 100GB uncompressed so I make sure I am creating the restore NTFS partition at least that size. My smallest NTFS partition size is 150GB to allow for updates and upgrades.

#12 2011-06-22 09:48:50

Shaine

Thank you heikkit and richarro for the tip. That just did the trick for me.
I was under the impression that choosing compressed makes it possible for pushing the image to a smaller location. I can see that I'm wrong.
On a different note. If my set-up is a server, switch and the macbook from which I'm pulling the image, the option "try to create intermediate file to preserve network bandwidth" can be un-checked right?

Thanks in advance!

Running DS NB140309 on OSX 10.9.2 server (local)
Environment: K-12 , AD binding
Handling OSX 10.6,10.7,10.8,10.9 | Windows 7 (X86 & X64) imaging operations
Current Project: Trying to make 10.9.2 user/custom template stick

#13 2011-06-22 13:43:41

richarro

Yes, you can un-check that option so it won't create the intermediate image on the workstation first but just copy directly to your repository.  It may take longer to create the image, but it will work.

Board footer