You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2007-11-13 17:40:13

Laurent

Some bugs

Hi,

I'm back to evaluate DS server. I found some problems :

configuration : MacOS X server 10.4.10 + DeployStudio server 10.b10

1. only one user as an account on this server. Long name "Administrator", short name "admin". I install DS server for the first time on this machine. Start the daemon with the DS Assistant then run setup. I can't login with this user. I create an new account "toto" (the biggest admin in the world...) with admin privileges. Then I can login with user toto and setup DS server... Why admin is not working ?

2. I create a NetBoot set on an iMac running 10.4.10. Work fine, boot and launch DS Runtime. But I can't launch "Startup Disk". It's ok for all other utilities in Tools menu.

3. In DS Admin, I assign an automation workflow to a computer. When I edit again this workflow, the workflow is no more assign to the computer.

One question : do I have to convert masters create with DeployStudio for importing in DeployStudio Server ? For HFS, the extension is asr.dmg for DS and hfs.dmg in DS server. What about NTFS ?

Thank you

Regards,

Laurent

#2 2007-11-16 09:11:31

admin
Administrator
Website

Re: Some bugs

1. We need to reproduce it with a clean 10.4.10 install... works fine in our lab.
2. This tool just wraps the system preference panel. It doesn't seem to work well in netboot mode.
3. Good point!
4. You don't need to convert dmg files as they are built with MacOS X system tools. Just rename the files extension if they are not listed by DeployStudio Admin or Runtime.
Same thing for the NTFS (still using ntfs-utils) and DD (system tool used for filesystems like EXT) files. Just move them to the new Repository.
You might need to restart the DeployStudioServer daemon in order to see these files from the client applications when moving them manually.
NTFS files are also compatible with the ones produced with WinClone.

#3 2007-11-24 17:21:02

admin
Administrator
Website

The computer default workflow reset bug is fixed in beta 11.

#4 2007-11-30 13:38:29

admin
Administrator
Website

I've reproduced the first login error. Restarting DeployStudioServer service with DeployStudio Assistant worked for me.
I could login without creating another user.

#5 2007-11-30 14:49:16

mbracco

Hello,

I found strage behavior in creating Deploystudio netinstall sets. The create function in Deploystudio Assistant creates an installset that contains a .sparseimage not a .dmg, when renaming netbooting the image seems ok, but on client side the apple logo is there and the turning wheel without continuation. On ServerSide i see a connected client System Type Powerbook6,5.

What could be the issue ?

In verbose mode when starting Netboot on client side i see different startupkeys like Workflowselector and so on, but it simply stops without bringing up DeploystudioAdmin.

It's only when creating netinstallsets on Tiger, Leopard netinstallsets are fine.

but i need tiger netinstallsets for restoring older G3's and G4's....

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by mbracco (2007-11-30 15:09:30)

#6 2007-11-30 18:01:03

admin
Administrator
Website

You can image and restore Tiger systems with a Leopard netboot image.
I'll check what's wrong with Tiger netboot sets later.

#7 2007-12-03 08:22:26

mbracco

I created a netinstall set on tiger and i get an Netboot: parse vendor specific options failed, missing vendor specific options - error on a client ibook G3 500MHz when i'm trying to netboot it. So both netinstallsets do it, tiger and Leopard ones.

arch=ppc sysid=PowerBook4,1 for the machine details.

The same netinstallset (leopard) boot without any problem intelmacs from type arch=i386 sysid=MacBook1,1

tiger netinstallsets created with b13 in 10.4.10 ends in shell -sh-2.05b#
then disk1: device is write locked. about 30 times repeating it.
then blanc with cursor again, shell again, hfs: WARNING - blocks on Volume DeploystudioRuntime not allocated!
blanc again.... no startup

ok, so my old netboot server is again working for me in Beta 9 on Tiger 10.4.10, waiting for some help in Beta 14, or so....

Update :

now i copied PPC Section in netinstallset from old one to new one, and it boots up til DeploystudioAdmin is downloading network repository, there it blocks,...

This could help you in debugging the problem.

Solution 1:

I found a config error : I met DNS-Forwarders to my internal DNS-Servers, but they were unreachable, so i deleted the dns-forwarders in the dns-config on netboot server. After that step AFP-Connection for the netbootssets and the DeploystudioAdmin are now working fine.

Sill no netboot to PPC....

Some guy on apple.com forums told me that PPC still is a problem due to architecture problem of netbootsets. The problem lies in the compatibility to Leopard. G3's are not compatible to Leopard, but why are my old netbootsets not working ?

Last edited by mbracco (2007-12-11 08:10:52)

Board footer