You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2017.09.08] DeployStudio build v1.7.8 (checksum, release note).
[2016.08.26] DeployStudio build v1.6.19 (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal build v1.5.17 (release note).

#1 2009-08-03 23:47:19

yavapai

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

After doing many dual boot restores and confirming both partitions work fine.  however,  I now have two iMac 17's that each display upon boot,  at the top left of a black screen, "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key".
I have tried:
Mac CD and ext FW drive with alt key on boot; pulled power for a minute; will not allow reset pram; Command - s; Command - v; insert XP sp3 install CD and touch key.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Brent

#2 2009-08-04 18:21:44

clubman

Re: No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

You are saying that the alt/option key will not allow you to pick a bootable drive?

Have you tried imaging them again? (if you have no important data on there)

#3 2009-08-05 01:55:27

yavapai

unfortunatley I can't  get to any other screen than this 'no bootable device screen".  I can't even boot from an ext drive or the Mac OS CD in the CD slot.  If I power off machine and hold down Option key, the error screen just comes up again.  This is a vicious cycle. From what I can tell, it seems to just happen on Intel iMac 17's.
Brent

#4 2009-08-05 14:46:25

clubman

Well, that's a tough one then. Nothing usually prevents the machine from showing the boot chooser (alt key), which is stored in EFI, not the hard drive. Have you set an firmware password of any kind?

Try:
- resetting PRAM by booting while holding down command+option+P+R until you have heard the third boot chime.
- if that does not work, try pulling the power for 30 seconds
- I'm fresh out of ideas! Have them serviced?

#5 2009-08-07 04:54:26

yavapai

Thanx. 

The system will not allow any key combo on boot to intervene (like re-setting PRAM).  I have even removed the internal battery for a couple hours and re-assembled the computer and re- booted.  Same DOS looking black screen
with "no bootable device".   this entire experience has only involved putting Windows on a Mac.  No Firmware password.
When I get a chance I will replace the HD to see if the master boot record may be the problem.
Brent

Last edited by yavapai (2009-08-07 04:59:49)

#6 2009-08-10 22:26:50

yavapai

I found the solution and it was . . . a DELL keyboard, not the new Mac aluminum kb, which led me to the pre- aluminum Mac kb's.  The problem seems isolated to the iMac (early 2006 17 inch) even with the current firmware for computer and kb. I found the same hardware combo resulted in the pre- logon screen keyboard keys not working, like the Option key to bring up Startup Manager or Com-Option-P-R to rest PRAM.
Brent

Board footer