You are not logged in.

Announcement

[2014.10.21] DeployStudio last stable build (release note).
[2013.02.23] DeployStudio last universal stable build (release note).

#1 2009-06-24 23:30:24

taugust04

Deploying Apple Updates, Adobe CS4... with DeployStudio.

Hi everyone,

I'm just looking for feedback regarding how they handle deploying Apple Updates and Adobe CS4 with DeployStudio.

Background:

My base image is very, very slim.  Just the OS and some very basic system-wide configurations and preference tweaks.  After that, I'm using DeployStudio to create workflows for package installations to deploy software.  I used JAMF Composer 7.0 to build individual packages of software I need to deploy (Flash Player, Firefox, VLC, etc) on the image.  In addition, I've created metapackages using Iceberg to take the packages I've built in Composer and group them to simplify the workflows (MultimediaApps.mpkg, InternetPlugins.mpkg, etc).  This workflow for deploying software/images has worked well except for two areas:  Adobe CS4, and Apple Software Updates.

I only run into the Apple Software Updates problem when there is a prerequisite for a certain version of the software.  For example, I can deploy iLife09 as a package with DeployStudio, but I can't deploy the iLife09 updates along with it.  For some reason, some of the updater packages fail, even if do it as a "install at first boot" task.  Adobe CS4 is an entirely different beast.  It doesn't seem to want to be packaged at all, although I'm still trying.  In addition, Adobe's installers and updaters are proprietary, so I haven't figured out a good way to deploy them yet.

I'm interested in hearing how you handle these problems in your environment.  I'm trying to go with a more modular approach to imaging, but, these types of obstacles are holding me back.  I'm looking to brainstorm to come up with some workarounds to these issues.  Thanks for any insight you can provide.

-Ted

#2 2009-06-25 12:14:48

PatGmac
Website

Re: Deploying Apple Updates, Adobe CS4... with DeployStudio.

How are your iLife updates failing? Mine are being installed on first boot as far as I can tell. If you're assuming they're failing because you get prompted for updates when you log in after imaging, it just not have installed the updates yet. It can take a while.

What I do for system updates is create a folder called "Leopard_Updates" in my DSRepository/Packages folder and add all updates to that folder. Then I add that folder (as a package) to each Leopard workflow. Depending on how updated my image is, that folder may be empty if my image is current. I do the same for TigerPPC and Tiger Intel.

Sorry, I don't have anything in place yet for CS4. I want to deploy that with LANDesk but having problems with it.

Patrick Gallagher
Twitter: @patgmac

#3 2009-06-25 23:48:49

taugust04

@PatGmac, thanks for replying.

I may have made some progress with Adobe CS4 and Composer 7 - the package is building as I speak.  I'm curious to see if it will work after some tips I found via Google.

If it doesn't, I'm thinking of going to a "hybrid" form of imaging, where I have as many things packaged as possible, and, I use workflows to build a final, monolithic image to be deployed.  Then I can run OS updates and install any un-manageable software before deploying.  This will still save time in having to manually build images, and I can multicast those monolithic images faster then just sending down the base image + packages, since I'm pretty sure packages are sent via uni-cast, not multicast.

You might be right on the OS updates - although I did have Software Update turned off so it wouldn't load automatically.

#4 2009-06-26 11:49:25

PatGmac
Website

One thing you can also consider is using the CS4 Deployment Toolkit which is available from Adobe for volume license customers. Once you have that setup, you can create a payloadless package that does the install from an AFP server from the postflight.

It would look something like:
/path/to/AdobeUberInstaller -server=afp://server.school.edu/share/AdobeCS4WebStd -user=username -p=secret

Patrick Gallagher

#5 2009-08-06 15:46:00

glarizza

You can also use Packagemaker to create a package in this fashion.  The package would dump the necessary files into a temp storage - such as /Users/Shared - and then run a Postinstall script to install CS4.  I do this with CS3 - I'm imagining it would still work.  I created a small article with my notes to help me out in the future --> [url]http://www.huronhs.com/techwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Site.Packaging[/url]   Scroll down and look under "Packaging Adobe Photoshop CS3."  You will still need the Deploy Guide to help you out - and this is just my own personal notes....so I'm sure I've omitted certain things I take for granted.  Hope it helps you out!

#6 2009-10-07 15:41:29

donmontalvo
Website

> glarizza wrote:

> You can also use Packagemaker to create a package in this fashion.  The package would dump the necessary files into a temp storage - such as /Users/Shared - and then run a Postinstall script to install CS4.  I do this with CS3 - I'm imagining it would still work.  I created a small article with my notes to help me out in the future --> [url]http://www.huronhs.com/techwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Site.Packaging[/url]   Scroll down and look under "Packaging Adobe Photoshop CS3."  You will still need the Deploy Guide to help you out - and this is just my own personal notes....so I'm sure I've omitted certain things I take for granted.  Hope it helps you out!

I haven't seen a documented packaging process that works for all environments. I've been told by some Casper users that the suite can "package" CS3/CS4 for deployment. But on examination of their process, it turns out they were using Casper to do a "silent install" as per Adobe's instructions. Silent install can be a problem if you're deploying the entire suite. One hiccup and you're left with a mess on your hands (not to mention broken applications if you were trying to install over an older version). Adobe need to get their act together, their software fails to adhere to the Apple distribution guidelines. Once we get real pkg/mpkg installers from Adobe (without any embedded Applescripts to prompt the user - so we can push to logged off computers), I'll stop steering folks to Pixelmator, VectorDesigner, etc.

Don

#7 2009-10-17 21:26:24

taugust04

> donmontalvo wrote:

I haven't seen a documented packaging process that works for all environments. I've been told by some Casper users that the suite can "package" CS3/CS4 for deployment. But on examination of their process, it turns out they were using Casper to do a "silent install" as per Adobe's instructions. Silent install can be a problem if you're deploying the entire suite. One hiccup and you're left with a mess on your hands (not to mention broken applications if you were trying to install over an older version). Adobe need to get their act together, their software fails to adhere to the Apple distribution guidelines. Once we get real pkg/mpkg installers from Adobe (without any embedded Applescripts to prompt the user - so we can push to logged off computers), I'll stop steering folks to Pixelmator, VectorDesigner, etc.

Don

You are right on the ball about Adobe and their installers.  From some of the articles I've read online, the hope is that Adobe will be switching to MSI and PKG based installers (for Windows, Mac OS X respectively), with the Adobe CS5 upgrade.  Windows admins have just as much trouble deploying CS4 as Mac admins do.  It seems that other parts of Adobe have already started using .pkg installers for their software, including the Flash and Shockwave plug-ins.  The Acrobat Reader group is halfway there with some type of proprietary .pkg installer that can't be deployed or installed using standard methods.

I've had great success using JAMF Composer to create .pkg installs of the Adobe CS4 suites.  If you install Adobe CS4, update, and then run the pre-canned Adobe CS4 installer diff file from Composer, you will get a .pkg that you can deploy out using ARD, DeployStudio, etc.  Of course the caveats of using this method are that you can't deploy different bundles of the software that only install Photoshop, Illustrator, etc, and sending out Adobe updates are rather un-reliable. YMMV...

#8 2009-10-17 22:27:30

donmontalvo
Website

> I've had great success using JAMF Composer to create .pkg installs of the Adobe CS4 suites.

Just to clear, are you saying you've created Apple format pkg or mpkg installers that do not use Adobe's silent install? Is this the entire suite? Or just a component of the suite?

I'd like to test this installer in our LAB environment. Sounds like your pkg or mpkg encapsulated the non standard Adobe process (which the entire Adobe dev team should be fired for).

Don

#9 2009-10-22 21:34:54

taugust04

Yes I've used JAMF Composer 7 to successfully build an Adobe CS4 Design Premium .pkg install.  Here are the steps that JAMF told me to follow:

Install Adobe CS4 with whatever options you typically use.
Open Photoshop, so that the Adobe Licensing kicks in for the suite.  Then quit.
Open Acrobat Pro, so that it gets activated as part of the suite, and registers itself with the Adobe Updater. Then quit.
Run the Adobe Updater.  Update all the CS4 apps to their latest versions.
Make any custom modifications as needed (ie, modifying the Acrobat self heal XML file, etc).

Open JAMF Composer 7 (I'm using 7.1).
Go to File > Download Latest DIFFs to make sure Composer has access to the latest DIFF Files.
After updates are done, go to File > New Package.
From the left hand column go to PREINSTALLED, and choose Software.
Select "Adobe CS4 Installed Products" from the list of items that are listed in the main Composer widow.

Be sure to save it as a .pkg, since .dmg installers only work with the Casper Suite.

I've deployed a working CS4 package with very little trouble using this method.  The only bug I've seen is that sometimes Acrobat still doesn't recognize that the CS4 suite has been activated, so when you open it, it will give you an error message that another application needs to be opened first, such as Photoshop.  Once Photoshop gets opened, Acrobat works as expected.  I made sure to warn the faculty about this when I started running into this and it wasn't a big issue - though it could be more of a pain if your lab is NetBoot-ing or using Deep Freeze.

Other issues using this method include:

- You cannot install Adobe Updates individually - you need to either log-in to each machine and run the Adobe Updater, or, push down an updated/patched version of the entire suite.
- You cannot divide up and install individual components and push them down in a "layered manner".  If you send down just Photoshop in this manner, then decide later to send down Illustrator, Photoshop will stop working, due to the way Adobe's licensing software works.

Good luck

-Ted

#10 2009-10-23 01:06:51

donmontalvo
Website

> taugust04 wrote:

> Yes I've used JAMF Composer 7 to successfully build an Adobe CS4 Design Premium .pkg install.  Here are the steps that JAMF told me to follow:

Install Adobe CS4 with whatever options you typically use.
Open Photoshop, so that the Adobe Licensing kicks in for the suite.  Then quit.
Open Acrobat Pro, so that it gets activated as part of the suite, and registers itself with the Adobe Updater. Then quit.
Run the Adobe Updater.  Update all the CS4 apps to their latest versions.
Make any custom modifications as needed (ie, modifying the Acrobat self heal XML file, etc).

Open JAMF Composer 7 (I'm using 7.1).
Go to File > Download Latest DIFFs to make sure Composer has access to the latest DIFF Files.
After updates are done, go to File > New Package.
From the left hand column go to PREINSTALLED, and choose Software.
Select "Adobe CS4 Installed Products" from the list of items that are listed in the main Composer widow.

Be sure to save it as a .pkg, since .dmg installers only work with the Casper Suite.

I've deployed a working CS4 package with very little trouble using this method.  The only bug I've seen is that sometimes Acrobat still doesn't recognize that the CS4 suite has been activated, so when you open it, it will give you an error message that another application needs to be opened first, such as Photoshop.  Once Photoshop gets opened, Acrobat works as expected.  I made sure to warn the faculty about this when I started running into this and it wasn't a big issue - though it could be more of a pain if your lab is NetBoot-ing or using Deep Freeze.

Other issues using this method include:

- You cannot install Adobe Updates individually - you need to either log-in to each machine and run the Adobe Updater, or, push down an updated/patched version of the entire suite.
- You cannot divide up and install individual components and push them down in a "layered manner".  If you send down just Photoshop in this manner, then decide later to send down Illustrator, Photoshop will stop working, due to the way Adobe's licensing software works.

Good luck

-Ted

Ted, thanks for the response. I wonder how successful this method has been in other environments?

Don

#11 2009-11-30 21:56:33

earok

Just a (Probably silly) question regarding the AdobeUberInstaller, is there a reason why the executable can't be run from the Deploy Studio runtime?

#12 2009-12-01 00:17:59

PatGmac
Website

Deploy Studio doesn't run .app's directly.

Patrick Gallagher

#13 2009-12-01 02:42:24

earok

Ah, I see.

I presume, in that case, I need to create a custom package that contains the script to mount the server and run UberInstaller, and set that package to run on first reboot?

In that case, is there a tutorial out there for doing this? Sorry for being such a newbie!

#14 2009-12-11 20:18:56

chrisdtek

Hey there,
I'm just purchasing the Composer 7 (JamF) for packaging, and wondering if you had to beef anything up on the server side of things. I'm assuming my packages will be stored there and run as a task in Deploy Studio? But that's just an assumption.

Thanks...Anyone!

Problems are only opportunities for solutions  smile

#15 2009-12-12 18:49:33

taugust04

@chrisdtek:

I was just wondering what you meant by "beef anything up on the server side of things"?  If you decide to create workflows that will install packages, then yes, your packages will be installed on the server.

A word of advice:  If you are trying to go to a package based imaging solution, where the majority of your image is created by installing packages using DeployStudio workflows, take a few extra minutes to bundle packages together that you have created in Composer into metapackages with Iceberg.  You'll quickly see that the GUI for adding workflows gets really messy if you have to add a lot of packages into the mix.

#16 2009-12-14 16:28:39

chrisdtek

Thanks for that taugust04. I guess I was wondering mostly about speed comparisons. I have some huge images to deploy, so the biggest benefit to my company, would be the time to image hundreds of Mac in labs. I have a Mac server already in place. I want to move to a smaller base image and then add packages as needed to each lab. I wasn't sure if there were any limitations with the Composer software on the server side once I have all my workflows packaged and created. I will get the Iceberg software as well.

Thanks

Problems are only opportunities for solutions  smile

#17 2009-12-17 23:38:11

PatMullen

> PatGmac wrote:

> One thing you can also consider is using the CS4 Deployment Toolkit which is available from Adobe for volume license customers. Once you have that setup, you can create a payloadless package that does the install from an AFP server from the postflight.

It would look something like:
/path/to/AdobeUberInstaller -server=afp://server.school.edu/share/AdobeCS4WebStd -user=username -p=secret

===============================
Wouldn't this be a bandwidth and time hog? I am about to attempt the Adobe DT, but with a twist: I packaged up the uberinstaller script with the payload directories and will dump them onto the client using DeployStudio. On the second boot after DS finishes (the first boot performs other configs and housekeeping) the uberinstaller will run.

I guess the real question is whether it is more efficient bandwidth- and time-wise to have DS dump the 5.5GB package I have of CS4 to the client or to have the client pull it down from the server during the installer process. I had assumed the former, since DS seems to multicast packages, while each client hitting the server for the installation process is going to put quite a load on the local switch.

Is my assessment valid? If not please explain. Thanks...

#18 2009-12-18 01:07:52

taugust04

If you are going to be imaging a large number of computers at one time, or a lab, I would recommend letting deploystudio build you a full image that can be deployed via Multicast rather than letting DeployStudio send all the packages down to each computer.

The workflow I am currently using is:

1. Build Base Image, of OS only, plus software updates.
2. Build Packages using Composer, to deploy Applications, Preferences, etc.
3. Combine packages into Metapackages for ease of use, as needed.
4. Create workflow that copies down base image plus all packages, I call it a "master" workflow.
5. Deploy "master workflow" to one machine.
6. Create "master image" from said machine with OS and all packages deployed on it.
7. Deploy "master image" via multicast to lab(s).

This seems to be a lot of steps, but considering steps 1,2, and 3 are the bulk of the work, most of the work is done once you create the packages and base OS installs needed.  It's just a matter of customizing each master image to your labs with what is needed.  Since everything is contained in a DMG that's been scanned for ASR, the deployment will be much faster than the "base images + packages" method, since (I'm pretty sure but please correct me) all packages are file based copies down to the clients, and are not able to multicasted.

Last edited by taugust04 (2009-12-18 01:10:14)

#19 2009-12-21 21:36:55

PatMullen

Thanks taugust04. I used to do that, though I used Carbon Copy Cloner and NetRestore and resulted in images that had been booted. Looks like your method provides a way to provide a "virgin" image to the target Macs, assuming you intend the master Mac created in step 5 never gets booted before it becomes the image in step six.

I have reasons for deploying through DS however. There is a trade-off between the prep time needed to create the deployables and the time it takes to actually deploy them. Though a single multicastable super-image might deploy more quickly I would have to spend a lot of time creating it and maintaining it. In addition, I deal with several combinations of software and hardware configurations that would each need their own super-image. I prefer the DS train because I can just create workflows that give me any combination I need at the moment. When new versions come up I can just package up the new version and drop it in the DS packages folder and I don't have to go through all the steps required to update the super-images. I choose to let the deployment process take longer in exchange for less time spent in prep and maintenance. ;-)

Also, doesn't DS does multicast the packages? Seems like it does, since I can deploy packages significantly faster to many Macs at once from DS than from ARD. If true then this makes super-images unnecessary.

On to my report about deploying "Adobe's way". Their deployment toolkit asks for the serial number up front then creates an "uber installer" that is supposed to make it so the licensing and other setup procedures are completed. It didn't work for me. I had exactly the same broken licensing as before, but worse because I would have had to run all the updates as well, plus the package weighed in at 5.5GB vs 3.8GB for my DIY package. Fuhgetit! For now I'll just go back to my DIY and resign myself to touching every dang Mac to finish the config process. Bleh...

Here's the sequence, in case it helps someone:

1. Deploy as normal
2. Log into the lab user account
3. Launch Photoshop (or any CS4 app, but NOT Acrobat Pro or Distiller). Result: "Licensing for this product has stopped working."
4. Install AdobeLicenseFix.pkg via ARD (this pkg came from Adobe)

And that's it. CS4 apps all work now. Whew!

Board footer